Talk

Advanced search

Curtains to keep house cool

(9 Posts)
Kismett Tue 13-Feb-18 12:55:30

I know it's still cold out, but I'm deciding on curtains for the house and thinking ahead to the summer. If I make curtains with a blackout liner, does that also help the house to stay cool in the summer? Does anyone have experience with this in their own house? Opening windows isn't really an option for us, so I'm trying to figure out how else to keep the house cool.

Justanothernameonthepage Tue 13-Feb-18 13:11:46

We have one room that overheats in the evening and is really hot in summer. We bought a film to place on the window that worked really well at keeping it at a decent temp

Kismett Tue 13-Feb-18 13:24:33

Thanks Just, I'll look into that too. I assume it's insulating and doesn't cause issues in the winter, like keeping the room from heating up when it's cold?

Nixen Tue 13-Feb-18 13:26:15

Following for updates as I too have a very hot house!

whiskyowl Tue 13-Feb-18 13:55:20

Blinds. Blinds are your friend because you can screen out the sun without entirely losing the light. Heavy curtains just trap the heat in the room, and turn it into a hot, dark cave.

Kismett Tue 13-Feb-18 14:23:29

Any type of blinds, Whisky? I’ve already been thinking about doing roller or Roman blinds on a bunch of windows in addition to curtains. I love the look of full length curtains, but they cover the radiators and I feel like we are choosing between privacy or heat with them!

Tika77 Tue 13-Feb-18 14:30:13

So many people don’t know how ro keep their house cool in the summer. It may not apply to you OP but generally the times you need to have your windows open are early morning and late at night when the outside air is cool. Let that circulate around the house cooling the walls. As soon as the sun comes up, close windows and shut the curtains on the sunny side. In the afternoon you can ipen those curtains and close the ones the sun’s shining on. My house might be really well insulated but this method has worked and it is really nice and cool when I come home on a hot day.

Blackout curtains definitely make a difference.

whiskyowl Tue 13-Feb-18 17:02:09

I was thinking venetian blinds kismet - so you can tilt them to filter out the sun without losing light!

Kismett Tue 13-Feb-18 17:56:22

Ah that makes sense. Yes, it would be nice if we could have some sun. I long for it in the winter and I'm nervous about it heating the house in the summer!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: