Talk

Advanced search

Any advice please? Architect Quote

(5 Posts)
KittyKK Tue 13-Feb-18 08:51:43

Any thoughts please on following architect firm quote? It is a big renovation of a period property, so a sizeable spend on professional fees... I need the project management element. Interested to know thoughts on the proposed percentage charges. Thanks!

£1.5k for detailed digital survey of existing house plans and elevations;
3.5% of budget estimate for sketch proposals, final drawing and submission of planning application;
3.5% of construction costs for construction drawing, seeking/obtaining fixed price tenders from contractors and submitting building regs application;
£2k for structural engineer at construction drawing stage;
Hourly rates (total estimated approx 3-4% of contract figure) for project management, including finalising contracts, site inspections, certification of payments (through to snagging/completion/6-month defects inspection).

Plus VAT, plus usual disbursements (planning application fees etc).

johnd2 Tue 13-Feb-18 09:16:04

Try to get everything as either a percentage or fixed. Anything that is an hourly rate is a big risk for you as they have more control of the work then you.
Regarding the project management it may be cheaper to get a separate project manager as they will be a lot cheaper than the architect.
Costs do seem on the high side but not ridiculously so.

KittyKK Tue 13-Feb-18 15:51:36

Thanks @johnd2. That’s great advice about fixing the percentage for the project management fee. Otherwise, I’ll be questioning every visit/call etc, as it is racking up an hourly charge, plus travel expenses etc!

NataliaOsipova Tue 13-Feb-18 15:54:18

We thought we needed project management.....but we found an excellent builder. He essentially was the project manager - sorting out all the relevant tradesmen etc. Is this an option for you to look at? Whereabouts are you based?

teaiseverything Tue 13-Feb-18 16:02:30

DH is a project manager. I'd thoroughly suggest getting a project manager in, separate from the architectural company. It's best to have fresh eyes and a couple of different approaches/sets of eyes on something. Alternatively, get an extremely competent foreman with thorough experience in analysing and making changes to drawings. I tend to find the architects get stuck on their vision whereas a PM will ensure tweaks go to plan and a budget is stuck to as much as possible.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: