Talk

Advanced search

Laying of tiles in this new build house are odd are n't they?

(8 Posts)
2018name Tue 13-Feb-18 08:42:40

Does anyone know anything about laying tiles? My friend has just moved into a new build house. The tiles in his kitchen have I believe been laid rather oddly. Rather than having, for example, a full tile one end of the kitchen and say a short, cut tile the other end he has short cut tiles the whole way round the kitchen - so he has short cut tiles at the back door to the garden and directly opposite it at the kitchen door and at each side of the kitchen too so when you stand in front of his kitchen cupboards you can see a short cut tile also. I am not a tiler but I would expect maybe there would be full tiles somewhere and not cut tiles round the whole perimeter of the room?

Does anyone have more experienced or expert thoughts on this as the end result in his new kitchen is not great. Thanks very much.

Feezles Tue 13-Feb-18 09:40:56

I'm sure someone who knows about such things will be along to correct me soon enough, but I thought you were meant to start tiling from the middle of the floor, so the pattern (even if it is just squares) is even and centered?

nemno Tue 13-Feb-18 09:54:28

I think starting somewhere in the middle and ending with cut tiles at the edge is the correct way. Our tiler picked a point to start measuring that he wouldn't end with a difficult tile (ie too slim) in any direction. Very few rooms are square enough to be able to have a straight whole-tile run along one wall.

nemno Tue 13-Feb-18 09:57:21

That lacks punctuation sorry. Try again. The tiler picked a point, then he measured to make sure that he wouldn't end up with a difficult tile to cut..

onalongsabbatical Tue 13-Feb-18 10:00:47

It's rare that any room actually has right angles or straight wall/floor edges good enough to fit a tile, therefore it's standard to start with a central tile and work out, ending with cutting at all outside edges.

2018name Tue 13-Feb-18 10:21:29

Maybe he is just "unlucky" then on the dimensions of the room as having huge say 18 inch tiles the smaller offcut tiles at 3-4 inches look really odd - particularly at the door as you come into the room.

Lilmisskittykat Tue 13-Feb-18 10:57:37

As long as he is happy with it I guess 🤷‍♀️

Geneticsbunny Tue 13-Feb-18 15:42:25

It should be done like this otherwise if the walls are wonky or the room isn't quite truly square then the tiles all go wonky as you lay them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now