Talk

Advanced search

crappy tiler - redo or leave it be?

(24 Posts)
runjumpclimbswim Mon 12-Feb-18 14:03:32

We hired a plumber/builder to redo our bathroom. He did fine with the plumbing, which is his trade, but really messed up our tiling. So badly in fact that we now are looking at having it redone. It will cost us a further £2k to have the work he's messed up removed, buy new tiles, and replaced.

This is what we're left with;

photos.app.goo.gl/BoDAgtqd3LX2sENm2

What would you do?

£2k Seems like an aweful lot for relatively small cosmetic stuff when we have a lot of other things we need to do to the house. The floor alone would only be £500, which we are going to do. But not sure if we should go for the walls....

Newscoliosismum Mon 12-Feb-18 14:05:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Newscoliosismum Mon 12-Feb-18 14:06:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Neganforever Mon 12-Feb-18 14:07:33

I would do the walls as well, they will just annoy you on a daily basis otherwise. Awful tiling, and I thought ours was done badly.

wowfudge Mon 12-Feb-18 14:11:04

I would claim against the guy who did that tiling for the re-tiling costs. He should be insured to cover it. He may not be of course. If you don’t have it re-done it will just irritate you every time you see it. It is terrible.

whiskyowl Mon 12-Feb-18 14:13:32

I'm so sorry, that's really appalling work and my heart goes out to you.

What wowfudge said. No-one seeing those pictures could remotely argue he'd done an adequate job.

TheShapeofYou Mon 12-Feb-18 14:19:01

Oh god, that's terrible - I feel so sorry for you! I'd def see if he's insured.

Our bathroom is being started next week and you've made me panic!

2pups Mon 12-Feb-18 14:30:23

I couldn't live with them like that and I'm quite relaxed. I'd want £££ back from the guy as well - he shouldn't attempt jobs he is incapable of.

user263781638 Mon 12-Feb-18 14:33:02

Holy shit that's bad!
There's no way I could live with this I'd be off to trading standards

Chunkamatic Mon 12-Feb-18 14:37:52

My en suite is tiled entirely in those hexagon mosaics. It's not a job for an amateur! What did he say? Have you challenged him about the job? I would be asking for some money back to compensate. As PP said he shouldn't be accepting work he hasn't got the skills to complete.

MyKingdomForBrie Mon 12-Feb-18 14:44:02

That’s horrendous.. I couldn’t live with that.

BarbaraOcumbungles Mon 12-Feb-18 14:46:08

Why did you pay him?

Lucymek Mon 12-Feb-18 14:48:20

Why did you pay ???

bobstersmum Mon 12-Feb-18 14:50:05

I've not seen a job as bad as that! What did you say to him on completion? I would get him back and tell him you want reimbursement or it redoing. Its shocking.

FluffyWuffy100 Mon 12-Feb-18 14:54:42

That is hideous!!!!

I would have to redo it. And pursue the tiler for the costs as that is shocking and incompetent work.

RagamuffinCat Mon 12-Feb-18 14:59:55

I think you need to try to claim your money back. That really is the worst tiling I have seen, I think made even more obvious by the dark grout and white tiles. I don't think I could live with that.

monkeywithacowface Mon 12-Feb-18 15:02:43

I would be trying to get my money back from the original tradesman first that's pretty shocking.

Nyancat Mon 12-Feb-18 15:06:56

I have an almost identical room and those floor tiles are a nightmare to put down. Mine are not perfectly evenly spaced and it drives me a little mad but those are really badly fitted both walls and floor. Id be asking him to redo at his expense, he shouldn't have taken on the job is he wasn't able to do it properly.

Maverick66 Mon 12-Feb-18 15:11:20

I would take it up with your plumber/builder.
No way would I be paying for that standard of workmanship.
brewcakethanks in the meantime

FannyFifer Mon 12-Feb-18 15:16:13

Did you pay for that?

runjumpclimbswim Fri 16-Feb-18 10:04:54

Thanks everyone I am going to try and work it out with him, for him to give me money back so I can get someoen else to do it. I don't think he's up to the task. I don't want to spend good money after bad. So I'll see what he says when I ask for a refund.

Viviene Sun 18-Feb-18 20:33:41

My half blind (really!) dad did my tiling and it is a thousand times better than this.
Definitely redo but wtf was he thinking?
You could try to take the tiles off yourself - it's not difficult at all and will reduce the cost.

Worieddd Sun 18-Feb-18 23:00:40

Wow that is awful shock

If you are in the north west I can recommend a brilliant tiler

mommybear1 Mon 19-Feb-18 08:51:39

Dreadful. I fully appreciate your position we are renovating and have had three bad tilers resulting in tiles being ripped out and redone- crazy waste. We are now on our fourth set! Happy with their work thankfully also hadn't paid the others and have had to buy 2 sets of tiles the rest they brought. I would double check what flooring and boarding in the shower he put down to tile - if it's plywood definitely rip up you need concrete boards to prevent leaks. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: