Talk

Advanced search

Keep a cool house cosy

(20 Posts)
OnNaturesCourse Mon 12-Feb-18 09:54:16

Any tips?

We live in a old house, old heating - vented.

We are going to invest in carpets but at the moment it's the old original wooden floors so very chilly. It's worse in the mornings then starts heating up but rapidly loses the heat if we go out/go to bed.

We are going to try and improve the heat loss etc but as a shorter term solution is there any hints and tips to make the place at least feel warmer? (Without great expense upfront or long term)

Thanks.

MammieBear Mon 12-Feb-18 09:58:09

Draft excluders round doors, electic heaters.

OnNaturesCourse Mon 12-Feb-18 10:01:14

I have electric heaters in rooms but I've read that they are very expensive to run so I've not dared to turn any of them on.

I've look into the excluders - dunno why I didn't think of that.

DonaldWeasley Mon 12-Feb-18 10:02:38

Use safety pins to attach fleece blankets to backs of curtains. Get electric blanket for bed and heated throw for sofa.

OnNaturesCourse Mon 12-Feb-18 10:07:29

The curtain thing is a brilliant idea, thanks!

dontcallmelen Mon 12-Feb-18 19:56:14

Yy thickest curtains you can get/make, draught excluders, door curtain & those stuffed draught excluders for the bottom of doors.
Electric blankets & hot water bottles & throws when your lounging on sofas.
Some rugs & if funds allow a wood burner.

FluffyWuffy100 Mon 12-Feb-18 21:24:29

Thermal curtains.
Thick rigs.
Electric heater for the bedroom in the morning so you’re getting up to a warm room.
Good slippers and a dressing gown and throws for the sofa!

OnNaturesCourse Mon 12-Feb-18 23:38:23

I only knew about draught excluders for doors, are there other kinds? I've invested in really nice thick door ones that I also have on window sills and around other edges.

Thanks.

PigletJohn Tue 13-Feb-18 07:21:51

loft insulation first.

cheapest, and best payback.

Can you get under those draughty floors?

CrabappleBiscuit Tue 13-Feb-18 07:23:48

Log burner, doesn’t solve the problem but it’s lovely.

PlateOfBiscuits Tue 13-Feb-18 07:24:20

stopgaps.com

This stuff is really good ^

johnd2 Tue 13-Feb-18 09:52:19

Suspended ground floor is the worst, get the draughts blocked down there. Also take a look at the upstairs ceiling. Plus all the usual areas like behind kitchen cabinets, loos, external doors and windows.
Between a tube a sealant and can of Pu expanding foam you should be able to get most of the way there.

OnNaturesCourse Tue 13-Feb-18 10:04:08

Yes, our kitchen units actually blow a draught out... But I can't seal them as the only hole I can see is from pipework coming in. I suspect behind the unit is cold wall which needs work done.

johnd2 Tue 13-Feb-18 19:00:32

Could be an unplastered wall or gap from pipes or blowing down from a void behind the plasterboard or from under the floor at the edges.
You're going to have to go round and seal as many as you can, make it an obsession for a month, if you're struggling Jos stick can help to follow the draughts.

JT05 Wed 14-Feb-18 09:40:34

Under stairs cupboards can be a source of cold, if they’re on an outside wall. Insulated behind the door and draught strip.

grasspigeons Wed 14-Feb-18 09:46:50

I know this isn't a house improvement but - I have one of those really thick fleecy pyjama jumpers from Sainsbury's and its so warm, combined with really nice slippers.

Springiscoming123 Wed 14-Feb-18 17:13:00

try and keep at least one room warm all the time,lounge maybe

OnNaturesCourse Thu 15-Feb-18 22:49:30

Jos stick???

johnd2 Thu 15-Feb-18 23:15:39

Smoke that smells nice
simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joss_stick

OnNaturesCourse Sat 17-Feb-18 13:06:41

Ahhh thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now