Talk

Advanced search

How much work to do before putting on the market?

(20 Posts)
MammaBear18 Sun 11-Feb-18 20:18:05

Hi. I'm after a bit of advice - we're about to start the process of selling for the first time. I've own the flat for the last 9 years and it obviously has some wear and tear, having survived three cats and a lodger (and us).

There are some scuff marks and blue tack stains on the walls as well as some minor holes due to pictures being put up. There is also some discolouring to the paint at the furniture edges (for example just around the bed). Do we need to fix and repaint everything or just tidy up before estate agents come round for a valuation?

BackforGood Mon 12-Feb-18 00:03:30

I would.
For the cost of some paint and a few hours work, it just makes a much better impression.
I mean, you don't need to, and to some extent it depends on what the market is like in your area. Logically it wouldn't take whoever buys it long (or cost much) to slap some paint on either, but if you were buying, and, in the same weekend looked at 4 similar properties, then I suspect you'd choose the one that looked nicest, if location, size, etc were all otherwise equal.

sausagedogsmakechipolatas Mon 12-Feb-18 09:07:37

We’re currently on the market; estate agent advised not to bother as inevitably whoever moves in will want to paint anyway. Same with installing new bathroom and kitchen (property is priced accordingly and size only attractive to FTB or investors.)

Kikashi Mon 12-Feb-18 12:37:26

I would paint to freshen the flat up and make sure it is very clean and decluttered. Have the cats out for viewings. If the flat looks well maintained then buyers assume everything else is okay such as the electrics etc. and feel they could move in without having to spend a lot of money and effort.

Estate agents always say not to bother doing stuff as they want your property on their books (and not a rivals) asap with no delay. They have no real incentive to get an extra couple of grand for you as they are usually on a percentage which it would make little difference to. Estate agents may be paid by you but they have their own best interest at heart not yours.

7to25 Mon 12-Feb-18 12:51:42

Agree that estate agents always say not to bother. Bother! It makes such a difference especially to a flat where first time buyers are easily scared off.

Bluelady Mon 12-Feb-18 13:21:46

Bother! Ours is about to go on the market. We've put in a new bathroom, decorated in white throughout, recarpeted throughput, decluttered to the point of minimalism and cleaned like demons. The kitchen would be replaced if we were staying but kitchens are so personal we're pricing accordingly on the basis that the buyers would want to choose their own.

If a place is fresh, clean and uncluttered it's bound to look better. And sell more quickly.

AwkwardPaws27 Mon 12-Feb-18 13:41:18

I would ask the estate agents opinion - a lot depends on your area. We were going to replace our bathroom to sell, but our estate agent said not to worry. We did paint throughout in white to brighten it up.

GreenTulips Mon 12-Feb-18 13:46:16

Clean and declutter

Wash curtains and light fittings

Do the jobs that need fixing - doors hanging off - light bulbs missing etc

Yes paint! Makes it more attractive - not everyone has any eye for decoration

Also - take photos - then have a good look at them - it's suprosing how badly something's look on photos especially weird wall hangings

OR do what a lot of people do - leave dirty knickers on the floor and cat shit inmlitter trays and over flowing wine bottles in the recycling bin!! then wonder why you didn't get an offer

BackforGood Mon 12-Feb-18 15:01:22

If the flat looks well maintained then buyers assume everything else is okay such as the electrics etc. and feel they could move in without having to spend a lot of money and effort.

and

It makes such a difference especially to a flat where first time buyers are easily scared off.

This ^

I mean, nobody was suggesting big jobs such as replacing kitchens and bathrooms - that would be a whole different level. I do get put off houses that have a fancy ne kitchen or bathroom that wouldn't be my choice - I feel you are paying more money to end up with something you don't want, so that is a completely different question from a lick of paint.

FluffyWuffy100 Mon 12-Feb-18 15:02:24

100% paint in something neutral - makes rooms look bright and fresh. Lots of people can't actually look past tatty decoration.

Fix any DIY jobs that need fixing - yes you might have lived with a dodgy bathroom door handle for 4 years but viewers will be massively put off by things lie that as it gives the impression you haven't bothered with maintenance.

Kitchen and bathroom - if these actually need replacing just price that in but don't do yourself.

ShowOfHands Mon 12-Feb-18 17:08:11

I'd ask the agent. Ours said to declutter as far as possible but otherwise not to worry. We sold within a week for more than asking price. Importantly, we were selling a 2 bed terrace with private off road parking and a garden, in a town where no terraces have parking let alone gardens. Decor was almost irrelevant.

Ditto when viewing, we didn't care about decor but we were buying in a village where anything is snapped up. The vendor had done nothing to spruce up but had literally papered over cracks (which was obvious).

In a saturated market, you'd need to do more I expect.

ljlkk Mon 12-Feb-18 17:14:29

carpets?... wondering what we'll do about small patches of carpet the cats have trashed. Can't easily just put a bit of furniture there!

Kikashi Mon 12-Feb-18 17:17:33

small rugs/pot plants ?

ljlkk Mon 12-Feb-18 17:21:01

Not on the stairs and right behind the doors smile.

Bluelady Mon 12-Feb-18 17:29:24

Replace the carpets that need it. It will make a massive difference and won't cost a huge amount in the great scheme of things. We've just recarpeted a 4 bed house for £2k and that wasn't the cheapest carpet.

MammaBear18 Mon 12-Feb-18 23:42:44

Thank you everyone, this helped us a lot - we'll be getting some white paint & brushes!

FluffyWuffy - you hit a nail in the head there. We have lots of little issues that we got used to over the last few years but would probably put a potential buyer off!

We are debating the carpets - if we were staying in the property we would've had flooring put down so I think the new buyers might think the same. Therefore it would be pointless to spend the money putting new carpets in - but we'll mention it to the estate agents and see what they say.

SaskaTchewan Tue 13-Feb-18 08:19:34

Go on rightmove and zoopla, and see what your competition looks like, and check what similar properties have sold for in the last few months.

The EA should show you this information when they come around to value your flat, but you can do a quick search yourself. If you have one of these sought-after properties that only come on the market every 5 years, you don't need to do anything.

If there are dozens of similar flats and you want the best price and a quick sale, you need a showroom (declutter, quick paint job and new floor are more than enough, you can even paint bathroom tiles for a sale. The paint won't age well, but your goal is a sell!)

SingaSong12 Tue 13-Feb-18 08:34:47

Other little things - make sure the furniture isn't too small single bed in slightly small double bedroom may suggest there isn't really space, or large sofas may make things cluttered and hard to see how large place really is.

- clean bedding and towels
- if there is a strong smell of cat get carpets cleaned professionally and try to freshen sofas - ask a non cat owner as you may be used to it.

Actually asking a friend round and ask them to b honest about everything. You may decide not to change everything (such as a dated bathroom, but they might notice clutter in a corner that you've got so used to it passes you by. These are things EA should say but might concentrate on bigger things. Include any garden/drive/ front steps

- good photos,

ChangoMutney Tue 13-Feb-18 08:42:26

EA here. The advice not to bother is correct with regard to the big things like new kitchens/bathrooms, but general wear and tear scruffs etc should be done. Just make sure it looks well maintained otherwise it makes viewers wonder what else hasn't been done. Dated, but clean is fine.

GreenTulips Tue 13-Feb-18 08:45:38

I agree

We added a new kitchen in our last house, because it needed one. Then ended up selling.

4 years later it's back on the market with a different kitchen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now