Talk

Advanced search

How sure do you need to be...

(5 Posts)
welshsoph Sun 11-Feb-18 15:09:49

When choosing paint colour for your living room? It's quite a big room and is the same creamy colour it was when we moved in four years ago, so needs a makeover.
We must have looked at hundreds of different colours and DH has found one he loves. I like it too but can't say I'm particularly excited about it. I think I can live with it. I suppose I won't know for sure until we have more than just a small patch on the wall.
Is this normal?? Should I be 100% sure or is 'liking' a colour enough? I've never had to make a decision like this before as it's our first house and I'm worried I'll regret it hmm

AnnieAnoniMouse Sun 11-Feb-18 15:14:53

In the nicest possible way, it’s paint. If you don’t like it, it’s easy enough and cheap enough to paint over it.

You really can’t tell until it’s on your walls, in your house what it’s going to look like. So, it’s always a bit hit & miss.

If your DH loves it, I’d go with it, on the understanding that if you don’t like it, you try again.

It’s a bit painful if it’s a dark colour as you’d need several coats very it to get rid of it, but hey, it’s not the end of the world.

I suggest you do a lot of painting before you think about replacing a bathroom or kitchen 😂

welshsoph Sun 11-Feb-18 15:26:10

I feel a bit pathetic agonising over this! You're right, it's just paint. And it's a very light colour so will be easy to repaint if needed.
I think if we get to a point where we need to replace the kitchen, we'd be better off just moving house 😂

SorryNotSorry Sun 11-Feb-18 16:03:16

This is exactly the sort of thing I worry over constantly.
What I always think is that once it's on the wall/bought as long as you like it it doesn't have to be the very best one that you could have chosen because the other options will not be next to it to compare against. In fact in a few weeks you wont even reliably remember the other colours you were debating.
I know paints look different in different rooms but maybe find a picture of a room painted in that exact colour that you like and see if that makes you more excited.
Good luck with the painting.

welshsoph Tue 13-Feb-18 18:41:31

Well we came to a compromise! We went for DH's choice above the dado rail and mine below it. Obviously we made sure they complemented each other and I'm pleased to say it looks really nice. Much better than I expected.
Won't be doing any more painting for a while though!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: