Talk

Advanced search

Doing the kitchen before the extension

(7 Posts)
OakFlooring Sat 10-Feb-18 19:05:17

The builders we want to do our living kitchen diner extension aren’t going to be free for a year. We’re contemplating getting our kitchen replaced prior to the extension. We will still do the kitchen design with the extension in mind. Is this a really stupid idea? Will the new kitchen be ruined by the building works? There will be a couple of meters gap between the end kitchen unit and where the wall will be knocked down

KittyKK Sat 10-Feb-18 19:39:10

I would find a different builder who can start in a few months, rather than a year wait. Good luck with the renovations!

namechangedtoday15 Sat 10-Feb-18 22:49:10

Wait a year. The fact that the builder can't start is because he's in demand. You may change your mind about the kitchen once you see the extension and even if there's a gap between your lovely new kitchen, it'll be affected by all the dust, the traipsing in of builders etc. A year will fly by (we waited over that for our builders).

FluffyWuffy100 Sun 11-Feb-18 08:27:38

I would wait. A year is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Mamaohana Sun 11-Feb-18 08:56:52

We had a diner/family room extension opening off our kitchen. We kept the current kitchen units and layout as it was only a couple of years old. The kitchen got dusty when the walls were knocked through but otherwise unaffected. Only thing which was tricky was joining and matching the floor tiles from the existing kitchen to the new room, that would have been easier for the builders to start from scratch across the whole space.

OakFlooring Sun 11-Feb-18 11:30:49

Thanks for your thoughts. Our current kitchen is falling apart, some appliances are broken so I just want to get on with it!

KitchenGary Fri 04-May-18 11:07:31

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: