Talk

Advanced search

Conservatory - refurbish or replace

(8 Posts)
burdog Sat 10-Feb-18 16:12:36

We have an old conservatory at the back of our house. It fits directly on to our tiny dining room and is abou 8 feet by 10 feet.

It was built in 1998 so is pretty old and grotty. We bought the house 2 years ago and never use it. It's too cold in winter and too hot in summer.

Two of the windows have condensation inside them, the floorboard have shrunk and I think the roof leaks (we never use it so not sure but the floor is stained in several spots). The window ledge on the inside needs re-painting or revarnishing. The light fitting/fan is straight out of 1998 and ugly. It needs a lot of TLC.

Can anyone share their stories of what they did with old conservatories? Did you knock it down and rebuild, refurbish, put a solid roof on, what did you do to make it habitable? I think ideally I'd like to make it into a garden room that fits on to the back of the dining room and in the same footprint so we have a bigger dining room but I've no idea what sort of permission we'd need for that.

PotatoesOfTheCarribean Sat 10-Feb-18 16:22:22

Had an old leaky conservatory, spent a lot of money fixing it up and making it good, and it was fine for a couple of years, but it was too old and crappy and we ended up having it replaced.

A new one could have insulation under the floor, you can get insulated panels to put on any walls that don't have windows (or build solid walls)

burdog Sun 11-Feb-18 10:55:42

That's a good thought Potatoes, doing it up could be sending bad money after good.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 11-Feb-18 11:03:15

I think it would be a waste of money. I think I'd take it down and start again. Would you have the same footprint? Can it be an extension rather than a conservatory?

BubblesBuddy Sun 11-Feb-18 12:27:46

Definitely remove it. I would d tend the house conventionally and not have a conservatory.

Having said that, I have a very expensive oak framed orangery. We use it all year round - it’s the kitchen. However it cost s small fortune but our house is worth a lot too so it’s fairly wow! If you have a standard house I would start again with a highly insulated standard build in keeping with the house style.

BubblesBuddy Sun 11-Feb-18 12:28:09

extend the house..,,

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 11-Feb-18 14:51:41

Out in interest how much do extensions and conservatory's differ in price?

Haggisfish Sun 11-Feb-18 15:14:28

Good question op-we are in the same position! I’m thinking we may go down the extension route.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: