Talk

Advanced search

Would you buy a house next to sports pitches?

(38 Posts)
somersetsoul Fri 09-Feb-18 22:20:08

Found a lovely house but there's just a fence and hedge between the house and well used rugby and football pitches. They also have flood lights for night time use.

I know this will drive me mad but dp isn't bothered. Pg with dc3 so I'm thinking practically!

Wwyd??

BackforGood Fri 09-Feb-18 22:54:49

It would depend on the level of use, but generally I would, yes.
You'd take into account direction of the floodlights. Crowds. Parking . Noise. Is there a bar / clubhouse ? (Which takes on different issues).

However, as you are already certain it would drive you mad, then it wouldn't suit you, so it's a non-starter, surely ?

Angryosaurus Fri 09-Feb-18 23:18:49

Would depend on the crowd/time of games/frequency and parking for me. Not a definite no

somersetsoul Sat 10-Feb-18 08:38:59

Thanks all. Interesting that you wouldn't rule it out. Maybe it's my hormones. It's used most weekends and a lot of evenings.

chocolateorangeowls Sat 10-Feb-18 08:54:34

We have, although we don't look out directly on to it it is at the end of our street. Before we bought we visited the house when there were games on to check things like parking and noise level etc. We've been here nearly a year now and haven't had any issues.

whiskyowl Sat 10-Feb-18 08:54:52

Yes, definitely, provided there wasn't a bar really close to the house - I think if they did regular weddings or something, that might sway me against too. But there are upsides- you'd have a great view for fireworks night! grin

I think you'd need to bear in mind that they could be sold off for housing at some point in future - but then all such green space is at risk these days, it's just the way things are.

somersetsoul Sat 10-Feb-18 09:04:51

The bar is no where near where the house is and you wouldn't even see it!

Thanks everyone, you've definitely changed my mind. The house is a new build but has the biggest garden on the estate which is a bonus!

BarbaraOcumbungles Sat 10-Feb-18 09:07:10

The floodlights alone would be a definitely no as far as I would be concerned. I like the dark!

somersetsoul Sat 10-Feb-18 09:15:32

They're the movable floodlights that aren't that high. We need to go at the weekend and an evening I think. The house isn't quite built yet which is a shame.

whiskyowl Sat 10-Feb-18 09:19:45

They won't be on all night either, will they? I mean, people have to get bored of sport and go home at some point, right?

somersetsoul Sat 10-Feb-18 09:22:42

Ha ha! I'm a dark lover so my current house has black out curtains in every window 😊

BarbaraOcumbungles Sat 10-Feb-18 09:24:20

Our local sports pitches are illuminated from sunset until about 9.30 several nights a week.. they are very bright and would be anything but cosy in the winter.

Oblomov18 Sat 10-Feb-18 09:25:06

Probably not. Ds1 and his friends play football at every opportunity and it would drive me nutty.
I would seriously hate it.

JakeBallardswife Sat 10-Feb-18 09:25:07

The lights will only be on until the matches finish latest 10 pm, I'd think. Go for it, sounds ideal.

Oblomov18 Sat 10-Feb-18 09:27:59

Ds1 does football training at a sports ground every Tuesday 7-9pm.
Floodlights most nights till 9pm? Possibly till 10pm.
Saturdays and sundays, most of the day, during the football season?

Seriously OP, don't do it. Few people could cope with it.

Hellywelly10 Sat 10-Feb-18 09:28:22

They would turn the lights off before you go to bed wouldn't they.
Perhaps have a viewing when you know the pitch is in use?

whiskyowl Sat 10-Feb-18 09:29:17

See, I would love it. I HATE the dark.

Godsplan Sat 10-Feb-18 09:32:11

I would be concerned about the noise, parking and the lights of course. Having said that I used to live near a football ground in a large city and there was only disruption for a few hours once a week max.

duckponds Sat 10-Feb-18 09:33:32

Personally I would consider this a plus point, think of it as an extended garden!

somersetsoul Sat 10-Feb-18 09:35:18

Parking isn't an issue, the sports field has loads and the estate entrance isn't near theirs. The noise is my concern. We'll have to stand near it when it's being used!

user1495884620 Sat 10-Feb-18 09:45:22

Noise probably wouldn't be an issue in winter but think about the summer, when you have your windows open. Will people still be playing when you / the kids go to bed? How early will they be starting on a weekend morning when you might want a lie in? In my limited experience (used to live near a school), the two most annoying noises were balls banging against things (to be fair, bouncing on tarmac is by far the worst, which you shouldn't have) and whistles. I found that they are very distracting. Constant background noise, like traffic or the buzz of lots of children chatting, is a lot easier to block out and get used to.

Oblomov18 Sat 10-Feb-18 09:53:43

Get used to?
No. I like peace and quiet.

Maggiewashere Sat 10-Feb-18 10:34:57

Definitely check. I pass a university sports ground when out for a walk, and the players are loud and shout to one another. Have you been in the house when the pitches are being used?

On the other hand, they may be unused out of season in summer when you'll want to use your garden.

ElanorGamgee Sat 10-Feb-18 10:42:13

I wouldn’t personally because I would hate the lights especially but also the noise. We are all different though.

MacaroniPenguin Sat 10-Feb-18 11:34:19

Not sure. I'd worry less about the lights than the noise on Sat and Sunday mornings. I am v lazy and love my lie ins!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: