Talk

Advanced search

Wooden floor fitted with no expansion gap

(11 Posts)
TheWeatherGirl1 Fri 09-Feb-18 11:27:54

And it's lifting.
Our living room is turning into a trampoline.
We've only been here six months and it was fitted by the previous owner, badly.

So, we've had a couple of people around to have a look at it and been told we'll have to replace the entire 25sqm floor 😐
It's obviously not very old and this seems like a really expensive and wasteful way forward.
Another chap told us he could take it all up and then glue it all down individually but this would take a week, but then we never heard from him again.

Soooo, to get to the point, is there any just cutting an expansion gap and then weighting down the lifty floor?

Thanks for staying with me

FartlekNewYearHell Fri 09-Feb-18 14:19:57

We had this with our badly fitted oak floor. DH got a joiner around and he strategically cut out a small strip from the sides of the walls. This allowed it to expand. There are a few places where it doesn't look great but it doesn't bulge and we didn't need a whole new floor. We've put a small bit of trim over the join and it covers most of the issues.

TheWeatherGirl1 Fri 09-Feb-18 18:28:26

Thank you for that.
Did you find the bulging bits flattened themselves out again?

expatmigrant Fri 09-Feb-18 19:19:22

I second fart . A good floor layer or carpenter will be able to cut some gaps round the edges for you in order for the floor to expand. It should in time flatten back down. Any gaps can be covered with a bit of beading.

FartlekNewYearHell Fri 09-Feb-18 20:18:36

The bulging bits did settle down of there own accord weathergirl. It's been about 7 years now and we've had no issues since.

FartlekNewYearHell Fri 09-Feb-18 20:19:45

Their not thereshock

TheWeatherGirl1 Fri 09-Feb-18 21:33:38

Thanks all. Really helpful

kirinm Fri 09-Feb-18 22:29:45

You need to check if moisture is getting in somewhere. Expansion gaps aren't the only concern. We had an issue with damp proofing which allowed moisture ingress and buckled the entire downstairs.

I've come across this a lot in my job too (lawyer) and it is rarely just inadequate expansion gaps.

TheWeatherGirl1 Sat 10-Feb-18 08:05:07

Oh please no damp.
Was the curse of my last flat , not sure I could cope again.

SpaceBergerac Sat 10-Feb-18 15:47:32

Don't worry, we had this too - DH didn't leave a proper expansion gap when we fitted the floor, and after 6 months or so it started to lift. He used a router to cut a gap where it had pushed up against the wall, and after a few weeks of walking on it, it was all flat again. No problems since, and it's been down for 9 years.

TheWeatherGirl1 Sat 10-Feb-18 18:02:31

Oh thank you.
So good to hear your success stories

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: