Talk

Advanced search

New boiler - in loft or kitchen

(7 Posts)
MrsBlondie Fri 09-Feb-18 10:52:45

Does anyone have a boiler in the loft? We are having an extension and want as much room as possible in the kitchen (loosing a wall and having inbuilt appliances).

My only worry about the loft is accessibility and also carbon monoxide (but I guess we can put a tester for this on the landing).

I'm also assuming you can control them with a controller these days as our current boiler is so old you need adjust heating etc on the boiler itself.

mousehouse123 Fri 09-Feb-18 11:04:25

Our boiler and hot water tank are in the loft. Our plumber was completely happy about that. I think that there's something about needing reasonable access/installed loft ladder in place for servicing and repairs. Had to run a copper overflow pipe externally but that wasn't complex. Our main control box (timers and manual override for 2 heating circuits and hot water) is wired into the boiler, but mounted on a wall downstairs. The thermostats are wireless and can be moved around.

idontlikealdi Fri 09-Feb-18 11:25:41

I viewed a house the other day with a new combo in the loft. The kitchen was tiny and they put the combi in the place of the old tank. Operated by remote control.

The house was wrong for a lot of reasons but the boiler wasn't one of them!

Snoopey Fri 09-Feb-18 11:50:32

The garage would best imo. Easier access for servicing of boiler etc. My boiler also sprung a small leak which we picked up on immediately. Had it been in the loft we might not have realised until it caused more damage.

Snoopey Fri 09-Feb-18 11:51:42

Sorry OP - I thought you mentioned garage!!! I personally would have it in the kitchen then x

Svalberg Fri 09-Feb-18 12:25:26

We have a loft conversion & have the boiler & pressurised tank in a room up there. It's against an outside wall & has a wireless controller & temperature sensor which can be moved around to wherever you want it. You can't hear it from the bedroom.

PigletJohn Fri 09-Feb-18 18:49:25

kitchen

you can see it, hear it and touch it and will notice if it is doing anything untoward, such as dripping or bubbling. Ever when you are on crutches to can see, hear and touch it.

In a corner above the kitchen worktop it will be in a place that a cabinet would not be very convenient.

It won't freeze. Not even the condensate pipe (which you will have the good sense to run indoors and connect to your sink waste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now