Talk

Advanced search

Osmo Oil stained our brushed steel - taps and hob

(5 Posts)
neff Thu 08-Feb-18 22:46:02

Hi,
Last week we had installed new solid oak worktops, and have been dutifully oiling them with Osmo Oil. Yesterday I noticed that where the oil has rubbed against the bottom of the (brand new!) brushed steel taps, and also the edges of the steel hob, there is now a matt-ish stain. I can slightly scratch with my nail at the tap one, and see tiny bits come off, but nothing on the hob comes off at all.

I've tried water, kitchen all purpose spray, limescale remover, steel cleaner, anti-sticky spray, cider vinegar, white spirit and olive oil. But nothing has worked! I called Osmo Oil offices and they said to buy Methylated spirit and use with a cloth, but I just feel like this is pretty much the same as white spirit, and that did nothing.

I really hope my poor old steel isn't ruined as our new kitchen is looking all tainted now. sad Does anyone have any top tips?

Thanks in advance! smile

goingtotown Thu 08-Feb-18 23:20:50

Methylated spirit is pure alcohol.

Footdrama Thu 08-Feb-18 23:22:37

www.diynot.com/diy/threads/removal-of-wood-oil-from-brushed-stainless-steel-sink.423896/

I’m not good with links but the same has happened here, and lots of suggestions..... good luck, I feel your pain

neff Fri 09-Feb-18 13:35:39

I found the solution! @Footdrama, I followed your link (thank you), and somewhere in the long thread someone mentioned trying Acetone nail polish remover, all I had was Acetone Free nail polish remover, but I tried it and it worked. With a little elbow grease it all came off, wiped it all down after with steel cleaner spray from Wilko and it all looks good as new! star

whiskyowl Fri 09-Feb-18 13:37:59

Great tip! Well done for getting it off, what a nightmare!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: