Talk

Advanced search

Finishing edges of plasterboard

(6 Posts)
venys Thu 08-Feb-18 14:03:15

Hi. Building control want a second layer of fire resistance under our stairs. So fire rated plasterboard under treads AND the same behind the drawer and cupboard facings in our under stairs storage. There is our fuse box (RCD) under stairs. I tried asking if there is a fire rated ply we could use as facings, but BC was not aware of a product and insists on the plasterboard. My worry is the drawers are in high use and won't last very long. (plus it takes up space). Anyway, any suggestions on how to finish the edges of the plasrwrboard and protect it from knocks? Cheers

CanadianJohn Thu 08-Feb-18 14:25:39

There are metal and vinyl end closures available. Either j-shaped or u-shaped. Google "drywall end trim" or similar.

venys Thu 08-Feb-18 21:12:37

Thanks for that. I am guessing we should box in the whole drywall as I am scared it will get dents in it. (draws and door will be used as a pantry. ).

johnd2 Thu 08-Feb-18 23:49:16

Just specifically box the fuse box not the whole thing.
Is your house 3 floors? If not no need for any fire partitions.
Even if it is 3 floors unless they're claiming the inner cupboards is a habitable room you still don't need the fire boards.

Having said that it is a good idea but just box the fuse box itself. You don't want the stairs themselves catching light either

venys Fri 09-Feb-18 14:31:02

House is 3 stories yes - old loft conversion before building regs. Strangely we are boxing in fuse box to protect it from the contents of the cupboard. But I need to do what BC say. They have given me lots of grief over three years as they have been asking for designs from professionals that dont exist. So I have got themselves to help with the design instead as they are signing it off. I find that the whole process a bit odd that they sign off but the ultimate responsibility of ensuring it meets guidelines lies with owners and builders so they don't input on the design as a rule. (This is not how it works in other industries).

venys Fri 09-Feb-18 14:33:01

But yes ,obviously you can't escape easily if your stairs are on fire. BC just want two layers of fire protection. (Although not bothered with things like intumescent strips).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: