Talk

Advanced search

FENSA certificate and Remortgaging

(8 Posts)
DaenerysismyQueen Thu 08-Feb-18 11:48:20

Hi All

We have come to remortgage our house and our solicitor is asking for a FENSA certificate. We had windows put in by a builder but we don't have a certificate. Is this likely to cause us big problems?

kingjofferyworksintescos Thu 08-Feb-18 11:51:35

I believe you will need to get signed off by building control , window regulations changed ( I think ) in April 2004

kingjofferyworksintescos Thu 08-Feb-18 11:52:50

Sorry I posted early , if they went in before this date I don't think they have to be declared

moomoogalicious Thu 08-Feb-18 11:59:39

Have a look here - scroll to the bottom

www.fensa.org.uk/fensa-certificate

Alwaysatyke Thu 08-Feb-18 12:04:04

When we sold our house we didn't have fensa certificate for new doors. We considered building control regularisation but solicitor suggested an indemnity policy instead which cost about £12. Not sure if that work for remortgaging too but def worth looking into

PickAChew Thu 08-Feb-18 12:28:36

We had to do this when we sold our last house. It's about one hundred and something pounds and 52p or something completely not round to have building control come and spend 5 seconds checking that everything is present and correct. You should find the relevant info on your council website.

Spickle Thu 08-Feb-18 13:04:47

We had new windows fitted as part of a major refurbishment. We don't have Fensa Certificates for them but believe the Building Regulations and Completion Certificate for the works are enough to cover the "whole job". If not, when we come to sell we'll get an indemnity policy.

Feezles Thu 08-Feb-18 13:29:07

I sold a house without one, and I just had to pay for a certificate of indemnity for it. My solicitor arranged it. I think it was about £120, though this was 12 years ago now, so my memory is a bit hazy. It certainly wasn't a huge sum compared to the other costs of buying and selling houses. Annoying, but not difficult.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now