Talk

Advanced search

Big lounge / diner or Bathroom?

(7 Posts)
MrsHouseBrownie Wed 07-Feb-18 18:38:04

Advice needed please. We have some money to invest in renovations, a large portion will go on the kitchen & new windows as they need attention the most, but I don't know what will be a better option for the remaining money? Do we upgrade and knock through our separate bathroom/ toil or knock our dining room and living room in to one? Both rooms are inadequate in their own way. Doubt our budget will stretch to do everything. What would you do?

MrsHouseBrownie Wed 07-Feb-18 18:38:26

Toilet not toll

MacaroniPenguin Wed 07-Feb-18 18:46:57

Loo and bathroom would be higher prority I think. Lounge diners are less fashionable these days, two separate reception rooms might be preferred by the market. But if you plan to stay for a long time you should do what suits you best. Which would annoy you more left undone?

PickAChew Wed 07-Feb-18 18:55:38

Which room meets your needs the least? If you have two poky or oddly proportioned reception rooms then knocking them through does give more flexibility, so I would prioritise that as a bathroom is essentially for shitting and washing in.

If, however, your bathroom is as manky and wonky as our shower room, I would want to prioritise that.

bilbodog Wed 07-Feb-18 19:28:48

I would do kitchen/ diner as i love having a big room to cook and eat in.

MrsHouseBrownie Wed 07-Feb-18 21:04:17

Thanks for your replies. House is a 1960s semi, lots of space but cut up in to smaller areas. The dining room is small and at the opposite end of house to the kitchen! We rarely use it, but it has a lovely view and great light. I think we would have a far greater day to day quality of life by knocking those 2 rooms together. However, the bathroom while functional is in desperate need of a refurb and knocking through would give us a better layout. We aren't planning on selling anytime soon. Love the house and location. Happy we are now in a position to make improvements!

MacaroniPenguin Wed 07-Feb-18 21:26:23

Sounds really exciting Brownie, enjoy! We have very fond memories of our 60s semi with its huge windows.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: