Advanced search

elderly kitchen and bathroom must haves

(16 Posts)
billysboy Wed 07-Feb-18 12:55:13

My 80yo Dad is recovering from a massive cancer operation and I in order to care for him at his own home the family are going to have to put a small extension on and install a new downstairs wetroom and a new kitchen

there are some obvious things such as handrails and no trip hazzards but has anyone else got any good and practical ideas that do not make it look like an old peoples home ?

I want to put an oven at waist level and bring the level of the fridge up with a built in microwave on top , a 2 ring induction hob and a decent sink with lever taps

Wet room will have an off the floor wc decent size basin and a shower with a handheld and a seat in it with the obvious grab rails and emergency pull cord

hatgirl Wed 07-Feb-18 13:04:29

Get a perching stool for the kitchen and set the kitchen counter heights at the right height for you dad to use them comfortably whilst sat on on the perching stool.

Be realistic about what your dad will actually use and others that may need to use the equipment (e.g. any carers)

Make sure any new doorways/ corners are wide enough to manoeuvre mobility equipment around easily.

sixteenapples Wed 07-Feb-18 13:13:33

Very good lighting.

whiskyowl Wed 07-Feb-18 13:30:08

How long have you got to do this before he comes out of hospital? Living through an extension is a pretty difficult thing at any age, even more so if you are frail and ill. Is there any way of simply adapting the existing house instead (e.g. installing a lift)??

Just get things well installed. There is a market for age-adapted properties now as the population lives longer.

Make sure the microwave is very easy to access.

billysboy Wed 07-Feb-18 13:30:34

Thanks for that we intend to rewire the downstairs as part of the project

The exterior doors will be low threshold level access and internal door to the wetroom 2 foot 9 and double doors to the bedroom will be the only doors downstairs

billysboy Wed 07-Feb-18 13:33:23


He is still in hospital now and will need to go into nursing care for a few weeks so I have about 8 weeks to get this done
The extension is only about 12 meters square The house is a fifties built 2 bed so no room for a lift

whiskyowl Wed 07-Feb-18 15:13:00

Gosh, you poor thing. It sounds like a very traumatic time for you and your family.

In the gentlest possible way, I don't know if it will be possible to achieve this in 8 weeks without a builder already signed up. To be honest, even a small extension is likely to take longer than that. I'm really sorry to be the bearer of bad news, my heart really goes out to you, but I don't know if this is doable. I would think even 12 weeks would be quite conservative. But perhaps I'm being too pessimistic. What do others think?

Gobbolinothewitchscat Wed 07-Feb-18 15:17:55

Totally agree. We are having a full house renovation with loft and cellar conversion. Just asked the builders here and they said no chance. Anyone ready to start rightaway wont have any work - for good reasons. No decent builder will start without plans either and a structural engineer's report They agree that you should try and adapt what you have. Does your DF really need his kwn kitchen? He couldnt eat with you and/or manage to heat up soup and make light snacks such as sandwiches in your kitchen?

Gobbolinothewitchscat Wed 07-Feb-18 15:21:41

Sorry - didnt realise this was adapting his own home.

This is thr second full scale renovation we have done. We have 3 DCs under 5 and I would not wish this on my worst enemy. Our builders are very nice but the dust and noise is horrific. Nothing is ever finished ln time either just because there are always snags. I go out every day. If I had to live through even a bit of it as a presumably house bound invalid, I would probably mive into sn old people's home asap!

billysboy Thu 08-Feb-18 10:51:55

dad will be in nursing home while work is going on

Amber0685 Thu 08-Feb-18 10:54:54

Can you ask one of the OTs at his hospital. They are full of ideas and great with heights, risks etc see if you can make an appointment

Missingstreetlife Thu 08-Feb-18 10:56:20

Try to get Occupational therapist (NHS thru hospital or gp, or social services I think) to come and assess. They will know what's available and what is suitable

Missingstreetlife Thu 08-Feb-18 10:56:45


Missingstreetlife Thu 08-Feb-18 10:58:36

If you need building work you may get local authority grant.
If his home is really unsuitable moving might be easier, sheltered housing perhaps

another20 Thu 08-Feb-18 10:58:44

Would this type of thing speed it up and make it less disruptive?

paddypants13 Thu 08-Feb-18 11:39:34

If you can, widen the door frames a little to make it easier for him to use a walking frame/ wheel chair.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: