Talk

Advanced search

Buyers asking to measure up

(14 Posts)
QueenOfIce Tue 06-Feb-18 20:25:02

We haven't yet exchanged but the buyers are asking to come and measure up. We are currently packing (part ex) so the house is upside down one room full of packed boxes.

I don't know why but I feel a little uncomfortable about this. It's a reasonable request but I'm a bit hmm

BikeRunSki Tue 06-Feb-18 20:28:14

What is making you hmm?
Your buyers are showing their commitment to buying your house! The timscales for all the legal and financial stuff can be really frustrating for everyone.

GinnyBaker Tue 06-Feb-18 20:28:45

How long is there going to be between exchange and completion?

QueenOfIce Tue 06-Feb-18 20:30:34

I know it's completely reasonable and I won't say no but it just feels a bit 'off' they had their offer accepted and 3 days later were asking to measure up. We have another 2 weeks to exchange and 4 after that for completion.

I'm being weird aren't I!

GinnyBaker Tue 06-Feb-18 20:33:45

If they are buying furniture like sofas etc the lead time might be more than 4 weeks.

I think its a good sign.

QueenOfIce Tue 06-Feb-18 20:40:24

I'm hoping they won't mind the boxes everywhere obviously it'll look different to when they viewed, the place was spotless!!

metalmum15 Tue 06-Feb-18 20:47:44

If you've not got your own personal things everywhere because you're packing up then they might be able to envisage it even more as their own house, iyswim, rather than yours. Their's is possibly half packed too. I think it's good of you to let them measure up. When we moved we bought a brand new house and we weren't allowed in to measure for anything until we'd moved in!

Finola1step Tue 06-Feb-18 20:55:57

They will be very pleased to see lots of boxes being packed. It suggests that you ate getting on with things and won't drag your heels. The measuring up is a good thing. It means they are making plans and are less likely to drag their heels. This is a win-win situation.

Viviene Tue 06-Feb-18 20:56:35

Unless you go to Ikea you need to order stuff in advance otherwise you are living out of he box for six weeks before the furniture arrives. They might me moving from a furnished rental and need to buy everything.

RaspberryPi1 Tue 06-Feb-18 21:29:00

Seems like a sensible request. Unless there is further background to this...

thereinmadnesslies Tue 06-Feb-18 21:30:39

We said no. The buyer had been tricky and it was a probate sale so clearing out the house was more challenging than a normal move. The buyers accepted this and the sale proceeded.

SheepySheepy Tue 06-Feb-18 21:34:36

I've worried before that if they come to do this before exchange they might change their minds. But I am paranoid! hmm

Based on this I would only ask after to do it after exchange.

KittyKK Tue 06-Feb-18 21:37:26

Sounds like a reasonable request. Also, it’s a good sign they’re serious about the purchase.

specialsubject Wed 07-Feb-18 09:15:26

Seeing you packing is a good sign, there are sellers who either aren't serious about the move or don't realise that it means out on completion day.

Let them in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: