Talk

Advanced search

Internal doors, not happy

(5 Posts)
Footdrama Tue 06-Feb-18 13:15:17

We’ve more or less finished refurbishing our house and had 10 new internal doors fitted. Our builder sub contracted to a firm we were far from impressed with.

Dh and I feel that 7 of the doors are too short. I can physically place a hand under 3 of the more ridiculous doors. When I raised it with the builder he said they are normal and building regs dictate a -fucking huge- gap for ventilation.

I can’t find any building regs that say this, only regs to do with fire doors.

Any ideas?

johnd2 Tue 06-Feb-18 13:32:01

Regs only state about 6000mm2 of free area to allow air transfer which equates to a 10mm gap between finished floor level and the door on an average width door.
If it's bigger than that it's completely unnecessary. More like a stable door than a room door

OctoberOctober Tue 06-Feb-18 23:32:01

A hand's depth definitely sounds too deep - have you got flooring sorted already? This is the kind of thing that drives me mad with builders, it is like you have to be there the whole time making sure they aren't going to do something stupid like this that it is very difficult to argue with after it has been completed. Did they trim down the doors?

RedialCallHold Wed 07-Feb-18 07:19:38

If they flooring is down already then I'd say they'd cocked it up. Ask the builder to show you the regs, somehow I doubt he'd be able to, then inform him he needs to get it sorted.

Footdrama Thu 08-Feb-18 23:09:40

Thanks for the replies. The flooring was down, they hung 10 doors very quickly and butchered them. Cutting them down where the gap isn’t even straight!

They are oak veneer and I’ve noticed pencil marks have been varnished over.

This is one of many issues and there is always an excuse.....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: