Talk

Advanced search

Porcelain Floor Tiles

(30 Posts)
MrsMozart Mon 05-Feb-18 19:03:57

After some new floor tiles for the dining room and kitchen (they open into each other, with a breakfast bar inbetween).

We've been advised to have porcelain rather than ceramic, due to big dogs playing in there and walking through, but finding it hard to find. Need cream-ish in colour. Don't want to spend a fortune...

Any suggestions folks?

4yearsnosleep Mon 05-Feb-18 19:33:42

Have you looked at Tons of tiles? When we were considering tiles, I got a few samples from them. Great price & quality x

Singlebutmarried Mon 05-Feb-18 19:44:45

We have had porcelain tiles fitted (big dogs here too)

They look amazing and very hard wearing.

Love them.

MrsMozart Mon 05-Feb-18 19:52:45

4years - thank you, looking at the site now smile

Single - did yours come from Tons of Tiles? Don't want to cover the floorboards, but big pups dictate!

Singlebutmarried Mon 05-Feb-18 21:11:53

Got from a local company (friend work there) happy to DM you the details.

MrsMozart Mon 05-Feb-18 21:21:06

Single - yes please smile

BubblesBuddy Mon 05-Feb-18 23:10:32

Porcelanosa has a great choice!

meandmytinfoilhat Mon 05-Feb-18 23:25:02

I got my porcelain tiles from b and q. They're a light cream colour and beautiful.

They were expensive but I do believe they have a budget range in.

ArgosTheDog Mon 05-Feb-18 23:32:31

I ADORE my Porcelanosa tiles..they look like wood. Everyone thinks they're wood.
They're my favourite bit of my house

ArgosTheDog Mon 05-Feb-18 23:33:36

God and they're soooooo hard-wearing. toddler DS chucks all his toys about (including his metal cars) and NOT A SCRATCH or crack!

whiskyowl Tue 06-Feb-18 06:28:14

Porcelanosa. Try to get them in the sale if you can! Makes a big price difference.

MrsMozart Tue 06-Feb-18 13:46:12

Ooh, thank you all folks.

I feel a mooch around some sites, and some stores this weekend, is in order. DH can't envisage ones on sites in real life, but can get samples.

How long was it after laying that (big) dogs can go on the tiles? I'm debating kennelling at least the two biggest / bounciest ones for the duration!

4yearsnosleep Tue 06-Feb-18 22:57:18

I'm not sure, best to ask a tiler. Though I doubt they'd be worse than a person clunking over them......unless you have Newfies, then it might be similar!

MrsMozart Wed 07-Feb-18 10:50:22

Thank you smile They're nearly a year old Rotties, so pretty powerful and bouncy. Am thinking two nights in kennels (which they enjoy) will be the plan grin

mommybear1 Wed 07-Feb-18 11:27:19

Tiles Direct (online) excellent customer service or Euro Claddings- not sure if you will have a local branch but worth a look.

MrsMozart Wed 07-Feb-18 11:31:10

Thank you. Will go see smile

whiskyowl Wed 07-Feb-18 12:01:42

I think high quality porcelain tiles will be more than a match for them - look for ones that have a decent thickness to them. Mine are SO bloody heavy I can only lift one 60cm tile at a time! They are hard as nails, too. I love how easy they are to clean.

Trethew Wed 07-Feb-18 12:48:26

I had cream porcelain tiles with three black labs. Tiles were fantastic, indestructible and easy to mop clean. But the grout - complete disaster. Impossible to keep clean. Grey after a few months and even bleach on a toothbrush did not get it properly clean again. Tried everything with no success. All proprietary grout cleaners and sealers made only marginal improvement. Suggest you choose tiles that will look ok with a slightly darker/greyer/browner grout to reduce this problem

whiskyowl Wed 07-Feb-18 13:31:21

Trethew - My tiler flat-out refused to install with white grout for those same reasons. I was a bit shock at the time, but have to admit he was right.

MrsMozart Wed 07-Feb-18 16:47:45

Ah ha! Thank you. Had wondered about colour of grout. A friend said can get a sealant, but it sounds like a dark colour grout is the way to go. The dogs doing their dog thing and a tonne of mud being traipsed through...

Will go poke DH. He was thinking of the wood look tiles, but I'm not sure it'll go with the worktops colouring.

ArgosTheDog Wed 07-Feb-18 21:00:25

These are my Porcelanosa tiles...

It never occurred to me to think about grout type/colour. Which just goes to show that I haven't noticed if they've become dirty. The greyish looking grout (whether it's dirty or was that way to start with) blends with the tiles.

MrsMozart Wed 07-Feb-18 21:54:57

They're nice! Hm. Probably outside my "I'm being tight" budget, but will looksee grin. The grout colour is a perfect match, and if you've not noticed it being dirty then it sounds even better grin

Tulips2lips Thu 08-Feb-18 11:20:40

try wallandfloors too. Very good value. If near Putney, they have a little shop where the ladies are ridiculously helpful /knowledgable.

MrsMozart Thu 08-Feb-18 13:22:16

No-where near, but will have a look ta smile

theHitcher Thu 08-Feb-18 13:36:21

Have you looked in B and Q?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now