Talk

Advanced search

Which house?

(31 Posts)
blinkineckmum Sun 04-Feb-18 17:49:52

A: top of our budget and need approx £30k of work. Lots of outdoor space for the 3 kids. 4 bedoms, one bathroom plus w/c, integral garage and converted loft. 30min walk from town but lovely location. Parking for 4 cars.

B: similar price but no urgent work though possibly needs a new boiler. 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, utility, small office. Loft space but not converted. Only a front garden and a small yard. One patking space. Centre of town.

blinkineckmum Sun 04-Feb-18 17:52:49

Sorry, that posted before I'd read it and finished it properly, but that's basically it.

Changednamejustincase Sun 04-Feb-18 17:54:59

B unless A is in a much better area. I wouldn't buy as it is at the top of your budget and needs work.

Would also rather have 2 bathrooms with 3 kids. Also A has already used it's loft space, B hasn't so you can either use it as a loft or convert on the future.

blinkineckmum Sun 04-Feb-18 17:59:25

Thanks.
A is 1970s. Very logical layout.
B is Victorian but has been altered over the years so a bit higgledy piggledy.

mumsiedarlingrevolta Sun 04-Feb-18 18:05:02

When we moved to a town and we chose location over parking (also a victorian semi) and it was the best thing we ever did.
I would absolutely go B
Plus A is top of budget and needs money spending so a slippery slope because it will always be more than you think.
Its so nice to be centre of town-everyone is happy!

blinkineckmum Sun 04-Feb-18 18:11:31

Thanks. I'll now reveal it's a head/ heart thing. I've fallen for A as I can picture the kids playing outside all the time.
B seems sensible but will sell very quickly so I'd have to let go of A and make an offer tomorrow. We're actually negotiating with A but they're in no rush and want more £, which we don't really have. There's no other 4 beds on the market in the area within the price range. We've sold and hsve dc3 on the way and dc1 starting school in September, so I'm feeling the pressure!

AvoidingDM Sun 04-Feb-18 18:16:41

What sort of work is needing done to A?

If it's kitchen/ bathroom / windows etc could you live with it until you've saved enough to do it?

Does the asking price truely reflect the condition and the need to do work?

BackforGood Sun 04-Feb-18 18:19:49

School catchments would make a difference to me with (almost) 4 small dc. If they are 1/2 hour away from each other then presumably different schools ?

OVienna Sun 04-Feb-18 18:19:59

A. It sounds like you could outgrow B. Is A more of a forever home?

blinkineckmum Sun 04-Feb-18 18:22:06

The asking price is much too high. We've offered below. The EA said if we raised our offer it probably wouldn't be worth any more on the mortgage valuation anyway.
The house is filthy. Old carpets, yellow walls... it has a filthy old avocado bathroom that is 3 rooms currently: w/c, shower, bath. So it urgently needs a professional clean, painting, new carpets and a new bathroom. After that we can take out time converting the garage, knocking through the kitchen + dining room and fitting a new kitchen-diner... new windows at some point.
It's got great dimensions and great outdoor space (cul-de-sac) opposite a canal and playing fields... It could be lovely!

blinkineckmum Sun 04-Feb-18 18:25:30

Sorry. To be clear, we have 2 dc and another due next month! They are both near good schools but the schools near A are so good they may be oversubscribed for this September.
B doesn't have many options for storage bar the loft and utility. I wonder where we'd keep all the stuff we currently have in our 3 sheds? Also, in each the loft would probably be used as an art studio.

Sengah Sun 04-Feb-18 19:28:05

It doesn't really sound like you have much choice if A wants more and your offer is already at the top of your budget... but if you can wait it out, I'd go with A; the cleaning won't cost £30k and so bigger jobs can wait til you've saved a bit - a big garden when children are small feels really valuable - unless B has a big park or similar around the corner? I'd also check out school situation for A asap.

blinkineckmum Sun 04-Feb-18 20:04:40

You're right. We have reached stalemate with the vendors of A. We have offered our max and he has been advised to accept as it's not worth more, we are proceedable, amd no-one else is offering. The only advice we've been given is to offer a bit more then ger the price knocked down at survey. But that feels too risky to me.

Sengah Sun 04-Feb-18 20:49:35

Yes that does sound a bit risky but I have no experience of that so can't really advise. Is it worth asking if there are any other conditions that would make him consider your offer - e.g. Moving in a certain timeframe, or is it all about the £? Also, just another thought on B, say you decided to take the risk and wait for A to see sense, how frequently do properties like B come along? You don't know for sure it will sell asap, and there may be more like it...? Good luck with making your decision.

blinkineckmum Sun 04-Feb-18 21:31:30

Thanks. We've been looking for 3 months and properties like B tend to sell within days! The vendor of A is just stubborn about £! I think DH is keen on B but I am not so sure.

AvoidingDM Sun 04-Feb-18 22:47:16

I would tell phone A as soon as EA opens that you are going to withdraw your offer at 10.30am if he doesn't accept.
And then get your offer in on B.

OutyMcOutface Sun 04-Feb-18 22:50:51

What is in the centre of town? Any parks?

blinkineckmum Sun 04-Feb-18 23:01:39

There are parks but no brilliant ones that end of town. It's closer to the shops.

AvoidingDM Mon 05-Feb-18 08:58:18

Another option is to look at 3 bedrooms with room for an extension.

Good luck

blinkineckmum Mon 05-Feb-18 09:35:03

Yes, my husband's quite keen on that idea but nothing suitable at the mo.

AvoidingDM Mon 05-Feb-18 15:05:24

Any luck with A accepting the offer?

blinkineckmum Mon 05-Feb-18 17:57:06

We've come to a decision and will be raising our offer on A slightly tomorrow! Fingers crossed.

Sengah Mon 05-Feb-18 19:38:00

@avoidingDM you play hardball and I like your style - might have to seek out your counsel if I ever get lucky with finding a place.

Viviene Mon 05-Feb-18 19:41:41

Ohhh I came here to say option A. House should never be about money only and space for kids to play outside is priceless and trumps being in the town center. You can tell the kids to go play outside and do stuff from where you see them, if you have to go to the park that's a whole trip.

BubblesBuddy Mon 05-Feb-18 19:46:09

I am always wary of 4 bed family houses with a small yard. That wouldn’t be sought after around here, Victorian or not. It just wouldn’t be considered to be a family house with limited outside space. I think you are right to go with A.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now