Talk

Advanced search

Burnt orange paint

(24 Posts)
ocelot41 Sun 04-Feb-18 06:20:28

Can anyone recommend me some nice (doesn't hurt your eyes) burnt orange paint? I have a North facing living room to decorate in Scotland. It gets lots of light, but cool light. Big double height room so could take a strong colour but prefer not migraine inducing....

CheapSausagesAndSpam Sun 04-Feb-18 07:38:03

That will look very dated OP. Colours for 2018 are like this

www.google.com.au/search?q=interior+paint+colours+uk+2018&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=mx6h7Wfu2O2E8M%253A%252CGFUICc26PyTjwM%252C_&usg=__w_MvNztwvrsb8oE8HNhABVZv2RA%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjLm6OX4IvZAhVDiLwKHXdYBmgQ9QEIOjAC#imgrc=mx6h7Wfu2O2E8M:

And the deep red or purply would look nice.

stoneagefertilitydoll Sun 04-Feb-18 07:49:35

I painted the wall all the way down the stairs to the door orange (and not even so very burned - it was this one Wickes) and it looked bloody fantastic. It made me smile as I came down the stairs every morning, and despite being very in your face across one entire side of the house, because it wasn't a wall you really spent a lot of time looking directly at it was absolutely fine.

I can't imagine why there are 'colours for 2018' for houses - paint it a colour you like - it's going to be there for a while (well, unless you're a person who redecorates every couple of years)

StilettosAreANoNo Sun 04-Feb-18 08:10:32

Ds has Dulux Tangerine Twist in his bedroom. Not sure if is burnt orange but it looks great. I was uncertain about the idea of an orange bedroom (it’s also pale grey) but the orange is really lovely and uplifting.

ocelot41 Sun 04-Feb-18 08:38:50

Food for thought.. I don't want to look super dated but nor do I want to be a slave to fashion. I want that room to feel relaxing and cosy rather than super striking. Would a marigold rather than a burnt orange be better?

MargotLovedTom1 Sun 04-Feb-18 08:47:06

If you like burnt orange then have burnt orange!

CheapSausages said these are the colours for 2018 but what about when 2018 has been and gone? Then there'll be colours for 2019, 2020 etc etc. We had deep red (Dulux Roasted Red) on the walls in the early 00s; everything comes around again but it's more important to have something you love, especially in something as substantial and fundamental as your home.

MargotLovedTom1 Sun 04-Feb-18 08:49:07

Apologies: I've just more or less rehashed what StoneAge said.

BerkInBag Sun 04-Feb-18 08:52:19

How about Charlotte's Locks?

http://www.farrow-ball.com/charlotte's%20locks/2013-new-colours/farrow-ball/fcp-product/100268

wowfudge Sun 04-Feb-18 09:34:13

We have a hallway and downstairs loo painted a burnt orange - it was like that when we moved in and is surprisingly nice! We thought we would want to change it straightaway, but it works well in quite a dark north facing area of the house. I'll dig out the details and post back.

I hate all that 'these are the colours for this year' crap. Have what you like and to hell with anyone else!

ocelot41 Sun 04-Feb-18 13:27:39

Actually having a think - Cheapsausages has a good point. Red could look awesome in that room because of the double height and it would help me make the telly area under the mezzanine feel all cinema-y.

I fell in love with this Japanese wall mural some time ago and have been looking for a chance to use it as well (http://www.wallart-direct.co.uk/modern-japanese-flowers-wallpaper-murals?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj97sxKqM2QIVBZPtCh2xSQVYEAQYGiABEgJ8bfD_BwE#.WncGSyWnw0M).

I am a bit intimidated by Calliente though - it's a really in your face red which might be overwhelming if used on more than a feature wall. Any other ideas for possible reds Cheap, which are a bit easier to live with? I was planning to rip out the moth eaten vile carpet and install wood flooring and get a good thick rug. The windows are double height floor to ceiling.

So it should be a really fab room but it's just feeling cold and meh right now.

ocelot41 Sun 04-Feb-18 13:28:10

www.wallart-direct.co.uk/modern-japanese-flowers-wallpaper-murals?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj97sxKqM2QIVBZPtCh2xSQVYEAQYGiABEgJ8bfD_BwE#.WncGSyWnw0M

Reposting linky

CheapSausagesAndSpam Mon 05-Feb-18 04:35:28

Well, if you look at Caliente here

www.housebeautiful.co.uk/decorate/news/a2599/benjamin-moore-colour-of-the-year-2018-caliente-red/

And scroll to the second pic, you'll see a room with some yellowy tones which are similar to your wallpaper. Looks beautiful together.

namechange2222 Mon 05-Feb-18 05:59:53

I've got Charlotte's Locks in my cottage sitting room. In contrast I've used a dark grey/ blue from Farrow and Ball on the fireplace chimney

whiskyowl Mon 05-Feb-18 08:14:04

I agree with PPs - don't go with burnt orange but with a colour that complements the mural. You could colour match the red of its flowers if you want something really bold, or you could go for something much more neutral like a beige with a bit of yellow in it and use mid-wood tones in your furniture - I've seen that combination a lot in traditional Japenese houses where they have screens.

ocelot41 Tue 06-Feb-18 06:51:35

Mmmm interesting ideas here! I think I have ideas for about 3 rooms now! My other thought was to use a dusty teal (my favourite colour which I think can read either cool or warm?) and then pair that with ' hot' accessories and maybe some statement chairs in possibly coral, salmon or a deep strong pink?

ocelot41 Tue 06-Feb-18 06:52:05

Or red of course!

LoniceraJaponica Tue 06-Feb-18 06:53:32

I must admit that I wouldn't find any shade of orange relaxing.

Bowerbird5 Tue 06-Feb-18 08:10:28

Teal and burnt orange!

B&Q have a paint mix. Can't think of the name but they have hundreds of colours and there was a lovely burnt orange. I used it to paint echinaechia at school outside. The paint went on very well ok masonry but if it is good the rest of range should be. They will make any colour up in match pots. I bought lots of them to paint a mural. Really helpful staff too.

Bowerbird5 Tue 06-Feb-18 08:12:07

Been to check it is Valspar.😄

Gingersstuff Wed 07-Feb-18 11:39:54

We also have a north facing Scottish living room OP grin
We've used Yellow Pink from the Little Greene Paint company and it is beautiful. So warm and inviting, bold yet not overpowering. India Yellow from F&B is similar.

Gingersstuff Wed 07-Feb-18 11:41:24

Oh and it would go amazingly well with that wall mural smile

OverinaFlash Wed 07-Feb-18 14:28:14

My MIL used Charlotte's Locks on one wall of her kitchen and it looks beautiful. However, if you want something deeper you could try Cadmium by Craig and Rose.

OverinaFlash Wed 07-Feb-18 14:30:45

Red Earth from F&B and Heat from Little Greene are also gorgeous and more red/pink less orange.

ocelot41 Thu 08-Feb-18 22:06:22

Popped into a paint shop that does Little Green today and oooh I love both Yellow Pink and Bronze Red! Liked Heat too, for a feature wall in another room (very dark north facing spare room) but think would be a bit much for the expanse I need to cover in the living room. Brill tips everyone - thanks!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: