Talk

Advanced search

Half height shutters?

(11 Posts)
ElanorGamgee Sat 03-Feb-18 20:09:23

Has anyone got these. We are moving into town and will be overlooked on one side and the back (haven’t been overlooked for 20 years so a big change).

Sash windows, I was thinking about half height shutters with Roman blinds outside the recess but I haven’t had shutters before. Would curtains be better? I don’t want window film, listed house in a conservation area and no one else has it.

Any thoughts or other suggestions welcome.

MamaDuckling Wed 07-Feb-18 23:14:36

Half shutters (called cafe style), are lovely, but I kind of wish we'd gone full height....

dontcallmelen Thu 08-Feb-18 20:41:07

Hi Op, I have large sash windows & went for half height shutters as we are not overlooked, so it seemed a waste of money really, I also have thick interlined curtains, so when it’s gets really cold I can draw them (old draughty house) i would have gone for roman blinds if the house wasn’t so chilly.

minipie Thu 08-Feb-18 21:20:06

I have half height shutters and love them, privacy without the shut in feeling of full height.

Not sure how Roman blinds would look with them, I usually see them on their own or with full length curtains on top. Trouble with Romans is they cut off the top part of the window even when open, so you'd lose the top bit that way and the bottom half with the shutters and be left with a fairly small slice of clear window in between which might look odd. Hope that makes sense!

ElanorGamgee Thu 08-Feb-18 21:28:58

Thanks for all your replies. I don’t think I will need interlined curtains for warmth as the windows were replaced ten years ago (have had a lifetime of old windows so I completely get it).

minipie the ceilings are 10ft high so I could mount a Roman blind outside the recess without blocking any window space.

I am leaning towards full height but only on the two overlooked sides at the minute. Difficult decision as six rooms are involved on that side and I want them all to look the same so I can’t try to see how it feels.

MamaDuckling Thu 08-Feb-18 23:06:25

Floor length curtains is probably where we'll go with ours... we thought we'd be fine with the half height on their own but it does feel a bit unfinished.

Mosaic123 Fri 09-Feb-18 00:14:44

If you can afford it I think full height shutters will look amazing. They will go with whatever furniture you want whereas with curtains you need to be much more careful with patterns and colour.

ftw Fri 09-Feb-18 00:22:17

We have Venetians that we leave down but open, and just flip the bottom few slats up for privacy.

FluffyWuffy100 Fri 09-Feb-18 08:01:41

Can you go full hight shutter but split so you can have the top half fully open to let in max light?

I think curtains would look better than blinds with them

ElanorGamgee Fri 09-Feb-18 08:22:32

I don’t really want curtains tbh, I prefer to avoid them as I prefer the clean lines of a Roman blind and don’t like full length with dogs but only really like full length.

Not sure why but I don’t fancy a split blind. I will look at the galleries again to see if that’s something I wouldn’t mind.

If the shutters weren’t so expensive I wouldn’t be so bothered about doing one room to see - I need to do 12 windows in total on the two overlooked sides.

Three of the rooms involved then have a four window bay at the front which looks out onto a lovely view. If I have shutters on the overlooked sides I then need to decide what to have at the front in those three rooms. I wouldn’t want shutters as I would want to see the view but I can’t see a way of avoiding them.

Have found a photo of what I was originally thinking of.

ElanorGamgee Fri 09-Feb-18 08:31:13

Oh I have just remembered why I thought I could do this/where I started from.

Half height shutters on the overlooked sides to deal with the fact those rooms are overlooked with roman blinds and then just Roman blinds (same fabric) in the three bays.

Whereas if I go full length shutters on the overlooked sides I won’t have anything to tie in with the bay windows.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: