Talk

Advanced search

Broken kitchen drawer

(12 Posts)
TolstoyAteMyHamster Sun 28-Jan-18 09:35:40

The kitchen was here when we moved in 15 years ago. No idea where it came from. The pan drawer is broken - the metal runner has buckled and it jams regularly.

What is the best way of getting it fixed? Go to an IKEA or similar and buy bits that will fit? Get someone in and beg for help?

I’d like to keep the front panel as it’s absolutely fine plus goes with the other ones. So it is just the inner bits of the drawer. I’m a total DIY dunce and my dad is in Mexico for the next six weeks so I can’t throw myself on his mercy!

NotMeNoNo Sun 28-Jan-18 19:24:21

see here should be able to find a similar interior box and runners and replace using a screwdriver.

RummidgeGeneral Sun 28-Jan-18 19:39:37

Get a handy man to sort it out. It doesn't matter if the runners look slightly different from the other drawers as long as the draw works. I have had 3 drawers mended in the last10 years.

PigletJohn Sun 28-Jan-18 22:07:22

I agree with Blum, they seem to be the best, though Hafele are not far behind.

Those prices look rather optimistic though. I bought a 400 and a 500 Blum soft-close last week for about £35 each plus next-day delivery. (they are sold by external size of the cabinet, the drawer is smaller)

The B&Q ones are bin-fodder.

For any more suggestions, photograph the drawer from all angles and tell us the dimensions.

TolstoyAteMyHamster Mon 29-Jan-18 13:05:30

Thank you! I’m at work but shall photograph and attempt to describe more fully this evening. Blum looks ideal - if I can get what I need I may be able to install it with some help from my brother.

TolstoyAteMyHamster Fri 02-Feb-18 18:21:38

Right. Not having much luck with Blum. Width is 54cm but they offer me 50cm or 60cm as standard and they aren't answering the phone. Aren't all drawers standard sizes? (Am drawer dunce, clearly!).

Olga81 Fri 02-Feb-18 19:01:07

Is 54cm the width of the drawer or the cabinet it's in? The Blom measurements probably refer to the cabinet width

TolstoyAteMyHamster Fri 02-Feb-18 21:56:05

That's the drawer but the cabinet is only a tiny bit bigger. Definitely not another 6cm wider.

Olga81 Sat 03-Feb-18 08:23:35

The width of the cabinet includes the sides of the cabinets, not just the space inside.

E.g. our 40cm cabinets have drawers that are 34cm wide within. The space inside the cabinet is maybe 35cm but the cabinet itself is a 40cm cabinet

So think it's highly likely that you need the 60cm option.

TolstoyAteMyHamster Sat 03-Feb-18 09:08:19

Ah! That makes sense. Will go back and measure again. The instructions do say that, to be fair, but I managed somehow to interpret it differently. The photo is confusing me, I think.

PigletJohn Sat 03-Feb-18 14:42:44

£38 including next day delivery

I have no connection with this company except as a satisfied buyer.

you attach the old (matching) front panel from your old drawer. Instructions come in the box.

If your cabinet is about 20 years old or less, there is a good chance the screw holes will match. If not, the runners are set back from the front by an inch or two. Don't try to fasten the front panel on until you are satisfied the drawer is running correctly. The sides have an up-and-down adjust to fine-tune the front, set it to half-way-up before you fix the front on.

TolstoyAteMyHamster Wed 14-Feb-18 22:39:02

Reporting back. Drawer great and I managed to do it myself including fitting runners which didn’t align with the old screws. So a win for Blum and the power of the MN massive!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: