Talk

Advanced search

Freestanding Bath?

(29 Posts)
MrsMozart Sat 27-Jan-18 19:54:48

The loo broke, so of course I need to replace the bath as well grin

It's an Edwardian house and the bathroom is approx 12'x12', so enough space for me to have a bit of a play.

It's proving surprisingly time consuming to find one that's not in the £000. I need it to be <£1k, invluding feet.

Theres a double width shower unit in there so the bath can just be a bath.

Any suggestions of suppliers folks? The one I've liked so far is the cheapest I've seen - I'd try and do a link but I'm not very good with them on here...

https://www.diy.com/departments/cooke-lewis-duchess-acrylic-keyhole-freestanding-bath-l-1700mm-w-630mm/98713_BQ.prd

scaryteacher Sat 27-Jan-18 22:18:15

Try www.castironbath.co.uk.

Fab company. I have the Falmouth in my house in UK and can't wait to move back and spend evenings in my bath with a book and a glass of something. You can have the bath sprayed in the F&B colour of your choice. They really delivered for me, and got it to me in a very short timescale.

MrsMozart Sat 27-Jan-18 22:39:57

Oh scary those are lovely!

I think I'm in love. I've sent DH the link smile flowers

scaryteacher Mon 29-Jan-18 06:38:08

They are lovely, and the company managed to get mine sprayed and express delivered for fitting in a very short timescale. They couldn't have been more helpful. I was budget limited, so went for the Falmouth, but I love the copper bath they have on the website. When I win the lottery.....

Crumbelina Mon 29-Jan-18 17:18:53

Ooh, slight thread hijack here but does your bath have any issues with warming up, Scary? I've read somewhere that cast iron baths take ages to warm up and can feel cold when you're lying in them. That said, I'm wondering if that applies to the very large, thick ones? Every acrylic one I've seen doesn't look quite as good. I love the look of the slipper baths on that company's website.

MrsMozart Mon 29-Jan-18 19:01:39

Have ordered! The Falmouth slipper bath, and the loo that started all this (and a washbasin...).

Crumb - I find that if you fill it with hot water it'll heat up the metal, then add the cold to get to the right temperature. I used to love my Dad's cast iron bath. Super relaxing.

Crumbelina Mon 29-Jan-18 22:53:32

Thank you Mrs! The Falmouth looks beautiful! grin

scaryteacher Mon 29-Jan-18 23:49:40

Mine was sprayed on the outside with F&B Clunch which picks up the surrounding colours.

Crumbelina as MrsM says, no problem. Far nicer than the 1960s bath in the rental we are in abroad.

Blackgrouse Mon 29-Jan-18 23:58:03

We have the Dawlish also from The Cast Iron Bath Co. painted pink. I love it and find the water stays warm longer than it does in an acrylic bath.

MrsMozart Tue 30-Jan-18 06:38:16

Oops! It's the Dawlish slipper bath. Too many names grin

Also the Edwardian washbasin and loo. Didn't want to soend a fortune, though really liked a couple of the others, as house will go on the market this year.

I am ridiculously excited grin

Blackgrouse Thu 01-Feb-18 21:25:21

They have some beautiful baths on there. We also have the Burlington Edwardian sink and toilet. What colour are you having the bath?

MrsMozart Fri 02-Feb-18 08:56:21

You pleased with them?

Bath will come in white, as I've not decided on the colour scheme yet. I'll be covering the half height tiles (that I've never really liked) with wood panneling, so need to figure out colours for both. The room has the original wood airing cupboard, or at least some of it as two-thirds went to make way for the double shower, and has a half curved slope ceiling that's currently soft egg blue.

Oh decisions decisions! grin

Blackgrouse Fri 02-Feb-18 18:23:55

I love my bath, and the basin & loo go well with it. We have wood panelling half way up in a dark greeny grey and the bath is painted F&B Cinder Rose. I'll probably repaint it a different colour eventually but it's been pink for 3 years and I still love it.

MrsMozart Fri 02-Feb-18 22:28:00

That sounds lovely smile

I feel a large coffee and a session with a colour chart smile

MrsMozart Sun 11-Feb-18 09:11:47

Bath comes in a couple of days! Excited much grin

Paid for the 'white glove' delivery and they do a site survey to make sure it'll go in... I got a call from DH saying it won't fit through the bathroom doorway! Eep. I asked if they'd considered how much extra space if take the doorframe off. No he said... Doh said I... So, late last night I was levering architrave off, to reveal a nice 5cm additional space, which as we needed 3cm I am now happy grin

I'll update once it's in!

Oh, as an aside, got a radiator from Column Rads. Excellent service, bloody brilliant price, and it looks good. Won't be hooked up for a week or so, but will update when it's in grin

Crumbelina Tue 13-Feb-18 10:01:48

Amazing Mrs! Hope it all goes well. Your efforts to get it in sounds like the kind of thing we would do. grin We once had a sofa delivered to the hallway and knocked down an internal wall to get it in a room (although we were 90% we wanted to remove it anyway). Would love an update and pic if poss! smile Thanks for the radiator recommendation too! We have a grey ornate one in our living room but I have a feeling we'll have to compromise on a standard white one for the bathroom as we're running out of money and I know I'll end up splurging on a cast iron bath.

scaryteacher Tue 13-Feb-18 10:17:34

Here is my bath in situ. The Clunch colour picks up the sage colour from the cladding and the beige from the flooring.

KittyKK Tue 13-Feb-18 10:33:11

Beautiful baths! Loving the Grande Le Rochelle! Off to see if I can find a similar style cheaper

Kimlek Thu 15-Feb-18 15:04:32

If you do kitty please let me know!! How heavy are the cast iron baths please? Is there any floor / support consideration pls?

Kimlek Thu 15-Feb-18 15:09:36

Kitty - there’s these but still expensive and not cast iron but sooooo beautiful
www.bcdesigns.co.uk/Baths/Acrylic-Boat-Bath-53.html

KittyKK Thu 15-Feb-18 18:10:31

Thanks for the link @kimlek! Such a lovely alternative

MrsMozart Thu 15-Feb-18 19:34:43

Crumb - you're my kinda gal grin It went in fine. Don't think really needed to do the dismantle but hey ho. Raditor was £165 inc VAT and delivery. Less than half the price of others I've seen for the same thing. Will update once it gets hooked up.

Scary - thank you, that is beautiful!

Kim - mine is 120kg. House is Edwardian and pretty solid, so am assuming it'll be okay... halo

Well. Delivery slot was a comedy of errors. But it arrived next morning. We'd paid extra for the 'White Glove' delivery, and it was well worth it!

Am very chuffed. Have not been lying in it, oh no, not I, well maybe just the once or twice grin

scaryteacher Fri 16-Feb-18 13:21:50

MrsM when my house is between tenants and I happen to be back in UK in the vicinity of my house, I have been known to go over, having nicked a bath towel from my Mum, and have a soak. It's weird getting dressed again in an empty house, but sooo nice to use the bath!

MrsMozart Fri 16-Feb-18 18:49:35

Scary as it should be m'duck, as it should be grin

Taps have arrived. Need to check size for
the minute washbasin (going in the little loo), and find a joiner... decided the boarding is beyond us. Need the plumber back to check where battons have to go, then boarding up, then plumber back...

This has to be one of the longest ever bathroom refits!

Kimlek Fri 16-Feb-18 22:36:49

Sounds fab pls post pics

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: