Advanced search

Large garden

(12 Posts)
NurseryFightClub Wed 24-Jan-18 08:14:11

In the process of a big renovation project so house is primarily taking the focus, but I want to start planning the garden, it is huge, 50m long by 25m wide. It has a couple of apple trees and a plum tree, plus some other non fruit trees. It is very flat. We have a two year old outdoor loving toddler, any ideas/pictures from you all would be lovely

NurseryFightClub Wed 24-Jan-18 08:17:04

Picture attached

Mamaohana Thu 25-Jan-18 08:14:56

Lovely- I’d be tempted to leave the lawn and hedging as they are. Hedging is easier to maintain than fences and looks much nicer. With children as much lawn as possible is good, kids love playing tennis, cricket, football etc on a big lawn. You could also eventually have a nice big climbing frame or swing. I can’t really see what the trees are like at the far end but some large trees are nice in the summer for shade. Walnut trees are perfect for this so you might want to consider planting one if you are staying there long term. Put a bench or small table and chairs under a shady tree for summer use.
The concrete is the worst bit but you might not want to spend money on a patio yet if you are renovating the house as builders would probably make it dirty or damage it. Also you may decide to extend at some point in the future?

NurseryFightClub Thu 25-Jan-18 08:30:20

Hi mamaohana, thankyou for response I love the walnut tree idea, and yes we are going to be there long term, it's our forever house.
Part of the renovation is extending, and that concrete went over past few days grin

whiskyowl Thu 25-Jan-18 08:32:59

I would post this in the gardening forum - they have some knowledgeable people in there!

Make a list of what you want from the space, and work up a design from that. Don't put beds around the edges and grass in the middle - it looks rubbish in a large space, a bit like having a colossal loft style room and then putting all the furniture around the edges.

CanIBuffalo Thu 25-Jan-18 08:33:22

Treehouse? Treehouses! Linked treehouses! Linked treehouses with a slide!!!grin

NurseryFightClub Thu 25-Jan-18 11:28:12

Hi whiskey I haven't properly explored MN I'm a aibu junkie mainly!

whiskyowl Thu 25-Jan-18 11:34:06

It's under 'home and garden'. I used to be a regular in there, but someone complained repeatedly that I posted too much sad

NurseryFightClub Thu 25-Jan-18 12:26:27

Whisky shock that's not fair, your post above is really helpful!

whiskyowl Thu 25-Jan-18 12:50:28

I miss all the lovely peeps there, they are such a wonderful bunch. But I was clearly upsetting someone (anonymous) so thought it best to desist! smile

Lucisky Thu 25-Jan-18 13:38:35

I am very envious of your lovely big garden!
I would certainly make room for a vegetable garden, which I would have a picket fence around. I would have fruit trees and an area of wildflower meadow too. You've even got room for one of those shepherd huts or a traditional gipsy caravan. Oh dear, I am just projecting my dreams onto your garden.... have fun with it anyway.

NurseryFightClub Thu 25-Jan-18 16:07:43

Hi lucisky, I know we are very very lucky with the garden, we'd seen some other lovely houses but the gardens were tiny, this is a tad bigger than we realistically wanted. I love the picket fence around veg garden idea, I was planning wildflower area in the front garden, I love poppies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now