Talk

Advanced search

What is the absolute cheapest price for a loft conversion?

(11 Posts)
BelleBoyd Mon 22-Jan-18 22:25:38

As above and bearing in mind London prices..
I have a 2 bedroom terrace and 2 dcs so really need an extra bedroom soon!
Budget is £25-30k absolute tops with nothing beyond that.
Is it possible?? Won't be a dormer or have a bathroom for that budget so really a straight conversion of what's there already although there are w supports which they have to get rid of?
Trying to think of creative ways that costs could be kept to a minimum. Can't do it myself, beyond my limited diy capabilities.

FleurWeasley Sat 27-Jan-18 19:05:55

Bumping for you because I’m curious too!

cravingsilence Sat 27-Jan-18 19:15:58

I'm in Kent. 3 bed mid terrace, so it added an extra bedroom to make it a 4 bed. No dormer or bathroom, all plumbing and electrics included but not decorated. We also got the whole roof re-done. Lost about a metre off one of the downstairs bedrooms to make room for the stairs, but it hasn't been a problem as we can still fit a single bed and wardrobe in there. Wish I'd had it done years ago - came in at around 25K in total and has definitely added that much in value. The company we used also does Bromley and surrounding areas, possibly SE London? Happy for you to pm me if you want their details.

roses2 Sun 28-Jan-18 11:59:04

I got 3 quotes when I had my loft done and all were similar prices. Around £32k + fixtures and fittings, bathroom tiles etc. This was 10 years ago and included the architect drawings, planning fees etc. I think it was £38k including tiles, sink, shower unit, carpet + a decorator to paint and time etc.

I used a company called Scott Mcabe based in Ealing. They cover all of London. They have guide prices on their website:

www.smalofts.co.uk/loft-conversion-prices-london

Spicylolly Sun 28-Jan-18 14:49:13

Ours was about 36 grand ( we're in Kent) and that was a dormer with an ensuite, so for just a loft room I think you should be able to get it done for about 25/30 grand...depending on the area of course.

FluffyWuffy100 Sun 28-Jan-18 17:19:16

I reckon you’ll get it done for just under £30k to a plaster finish.

Fewer and smaller velux are cheaper than lots of big ones. A basic room with no built in storage and basic light fitting and plug sockets etc is cheapest.

FleurWeasley Sun 28-Jan-18 18:49:27

This is all really useful, thanks.

itsveryquiet Mon 29-Jan-18 20:26:46

Midlands. 17x11 foot, 3 bed town house. Loft room with 2 velux, built in storage, plaster finish. New roof. Staircase. £19k.

Beautiful. Best thing we ever did.

And a lovely family firm that was a pleasure to have around.

blinkineckmum Tue 30-Jan-18 22:15:50

We did it ourselves. It didn't include proper stairs or lowering the floor, so cannot count as a room, but serves as one. It's huge.
We laid a floor, put in a new hatch and doorway, insulated, boarded the walls, put in 2 velux windows and carpeted.
Cost just over £2k.

SarahBeeney Tue 30-Jan-18 22:25:19

I reckon it's possible. We had a loft done last summer,the quote was £36k although more like £50k including the bathroom suite/decorating/carpets/extra electritian stuff.

And that's with a dormer. We're south London. I had 3 quotes at that amount so it wasn't a one off. The company we used were good.

Woodman03 Tue 30-Jan-18 22:34:04

It really depends on the structure of the house. Do you have trust rafters or purlins, what's the head room, what restructuring to accommodate the stairs, what size are the ceiling joists. So many open questions. Yes you could get one for £25k but you have to hope the current structure is sympathetic to a loft conversion.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: