Talk

Advanced search

Royston Vasey, the saga continues.

(333 Posts)
HooraySunshine Wed 17-Jan-18 00:56:32

Hello again!

shock I can't believe I'm here, again, starting a thread about my bizarre new neighbours and life in an English village.

I left my life in London nearly 7 months ago to fulfil an (idealized) dream of living in an English village. It was so exciting and I was so looking forward to becoming part of village life! I had such high hopes and ambitious plans to make friends with all the villagers and create a beautiful home and new life for me and DH.

...and then I met my new neighbours.

This is where my story begins. You can read more about it here:

Objects to Planning Application

Clear your schedules, settle in with a hot cuppa and your favourite biscuits because it is a long read! If you live in a village, you might relate and if you don't, you will definitely find a new appreciation for your current home and neighbours! grin

I have been so fortunate that to date, all of the comments in my thread have been informative, helpful and/or supportive. (let's try to keep it that way, eh?) It has definitely helped me through what has turned out to be a very difficult 7 months, and I hope the messages are also helping others who find themselves in a similar situation to me (I know you're out there!).

So please read through the previous thread (then take a break and possibly a quick nap to recharge energy levels! grin ) and join us in Part Two of what feels like Life in Royston Vasey.

('Outsiders' are very welcome!!! grin )

Temporaryanonymity Wed 17-Jan-18 01:12:05

Link fail

HooraySunshine Wed 17-Jan-18 01:18:47

Temporaryanonymity Thank you for letting me know. hmm I'm not sure what I did wrong there, but I will look into it and try to get it corrected. In the meantime, for those looking for the previous thread, please search for the below in DIY/Property section.

Neighbour Objects to Planning Application

Apologies for inconvenience!! blush

TemptressofWaikiki Wed 17-Jan-18 01:22:44

What ho! Hooray, old bean – fancy meeting you here…! Are Tubbs and Edward around too? grin

WhatCanIDoNowPlease Wed 17-Jan-18 01:28:32

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/3016002-Neighbour-Objects-to-Planning-Application

Correct link.

HooraySunshine Wed 17-Jan-18 01:44:18

WhatCanIDoNowPlease Thank you!! smile

HooraySunshine Wed 17-Jan-18 01:47:38

TemptressofWaikiki grin

I'm not sure actually. I didn't see if anyone left in the ambulance, so ...I'm intrigued, but determined to not join the dark forces of nosiness!! grin

If they don't go for their daily drive tomorrow, then something might be amiss! wink

TemptressofWaikiki Wed 17-Jan-18 01:56:10

Being perhaps in possession of a somewhat mischievous disposition, I would see if you could pass on a message to their children. Telling them, in light of their dear parents increasing likelihood of pushing up daisies in the near future, perhaps, they would consider you first when selling. You have plans to knock down their place to put in a tennis court and swimming pool. That could liven up things a bit… grin

HooraySunshine Wed 17-Jan-18 01:59:16

Ok, I wasn't looking!!! BUT my whole front garden/house just lit up like a Christmas tree (NDN's lights again) and weird car man and his partner have just parked in NDN's drive, hung around in NDN's front garden talking for a bit (as you do at 2am) and then went into NDN's house.
hmm Definitely something going on. They only park in NDN's drive when NDN isn't home. Perhaps they did leave in the ambulance.

HooraySunshine Wed 17-Jan-18 02:05:34

TemptressofWaikiki grin Naughty!! grin

Oh, I am tempted. A heated pool with underground parking, a croquet lawn and ....yes, I could take up tennis again! How convenient to have my own court to save that tedious journey all the way across the village.

I don't wish any ill will on anyone, but perhaps this will be a wake up call that they really shouldn't be living on their own and DEFINITELY not driving!!

TemptressofWaikiki Wed 17-Jan-18 02:05:35

Gosh, what a turn-up for the books. Mebbe the old codger is brown bread. If so, let's hope it's an open casket affair. Bring a needle and a mirror, just to be certain. whistles 'Ding, dong, the Witch is dead...'

TemptressofWaikiki Wed 17-Jan-18 02:08:29

PS: I tend to be quite prolific when it comes to wishing ill will to nasty shitgibbons. I am luckily not cursed with a saintly disposition...

HooraySunshine Wed 17-Jan-18 02:16:22

TemptressofWaikiki grin

I can foresee the family blaming me for 'killing their beloved one' ...whom they haven't seen in months and didn't give a flying fig about daddy and mummy dearest's ill health whilst encouraging a heated, ongoing row with their NDN and doing their own part to go out of their way to make my life miserable for months.

TemptressofWaikiki Wed 17-Jan-18 02:28:31

If you manage to get such an evil rep then you must live up to it! I trust you already have a familiar? Next you will need a cauldron and be seen to mutter strange spells. Might get people to back off…

namechange2222 Wed 17-Jan-18 07:28:37

OK I'll now admit that I may have suggested ( told as fact) to a similar neighbour that I'd met the person who was buying the house near to us and he was a scrap dealer with his own business and lorries. ( not at all true)
The look on CF neighbour's face made everything worthwhile!

RandomMess Wed 17-Jan-18 08:48:01

@namechange2222 shockgrininspired!!!

namechange2222 Wed 17-Jan-18 09:13:02

Takes a bow

Veronicat Wed 17-Jan-18 10:15:53

I'm hanging out with you all as I'm dying to see the garden in spring after all your hard work.
I have a huge overgrow garden that I can't afford to do anything to so I'm envious.

HooraySunshine Wed 17-Jan-18 11:25:12

TemptressofWaikiki grin <ponders> where to find a cauldron in January hmm Off to Ebay! grin

HooraySunshine Wed 17-Jan-18 11:28:39

namechange2222 grin Ha! Well played, well played indeed! grin

MipMipMip Wed 17-Jan-18 11:48:08

Have you read any of the Rebecca Shaw village books? First in the series is the new rector but after that they all have village in the title. Variable (although always enjoyable) they have lots of different characters who appear in the books (along with a core cast!) and some of them could well be your NDNs. One or two are very strange indeed....

HooraySunshine Wed 17-Jan-18 11:49:09

Veronicat grin Thank you! It's definitely a work in progress. I'm hoping it will put on a LOT of growth this year as I've put so much time and money into it all. I still have a lot to do. I have this picture in my head of what it will all (eventually) look like and I've been working with a good friend who is a (well known) landscape designer.

Don't give up on your garden! Think of it now as a 'wildlife haven' grin In time, you can transform it into whatever you want. My fence and hedge was a sort of 'quick solution' to a problem neighbour. Now that's all complete, I'm taking my time to plant the things I really want and build the garden I've been planning.

It's been so nice these past couple weeks to buy a plant I want and plant it in my garden and not have someone demanding a detailed explanation and a full spreadsheet of my costs. grin

HooraySunshine Wed 17-Jan-18 11:55:35

MipMipMip Ooh! No, but I love a good book recommendation! I read a lot, and I'm always on the lookout for a good series. Thank you! I'll see if I can download a few today. smile

Footle Thu 18-Jan-18 07:31:12

Found you.

Personwithhorse Thu 18-Jan-18 08:17:36

We just moved to a lovely country village and have found the people to be nice, if a bit nosey .... We love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now