Talk

Advanced search

Would this put you off buying a house?

(42 Posts)
SingingBabooshkaBadly Sat 13-Jan-18 16:52:11

We are planning on putting our house on the market shortly. It's a three bed semi with a large garden in the catchment area of a well-regarded seconadary school. Our garden has pretty big pond. If you have younger children would this stop you buying a house you otherwise liked or would you be prepared to buy it and get rid of the pond yourself?

DrRanjsRightEyebrow Sat 13-Jan-18 16:52:52

yeah I'd buy and get rid. Not so tricky to drain a pond.

WillowWept Sat 13-Jan-18 16:53:28

I'd buy it and fill the pond in immediately.

If I thought it was going to be difficult to do immediately I'd find it hugely off putting. And I've lived in total building sites over the years.

DrRanjsRightEyebrow Sat 13-Jan-18 16:53:31

when you say pretty big... how big?

littlecabbage Sat 13-Jan-18 16:54:15

If I otherwise liked the house, I would definitely buy, and fill in myself.

DrRanjsRightEyebrow Sat 13-Jan-18 16:55:10

you could say to agents you are happy to drain the pond before completion if a famoly purchased that wanted you to do so. They can say this to potential vendors on showing them round (and save you the bother if bought by someone not fussed about removing it)

Wouldn't put me off and wouldn't fill it in. I think it's a nice feature.

Dozer Sat 13-Jan-18 17:00:53

Are you well within the current and likely future catchment? If so and getting into the school is tricky that will sell the place whatever!

SingingBabooshkaBadly Sat 13-Jan-18 17:20:36

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated smile. DrRanjs hmm...too late to go out and measure but I reckon it's 15-20ft in length and about 4ft at it's widest point (curved so narrower at either end) so quite big to fill in. Great suggestion re making it clear we'd drain it if required.

Dozer, yes, I can't imagine the catchment area would change. We're about a ten minute walk.

I'm reassured by your messages, so thank you. Obviously it didn't stop us buying the house but then we don't have DC. I know if I did I wouldn't consider having a pond.

HannaSolo Sat 13-Jan-18 17:30:14

I bought my current house with large deep pond when the kids were small.

It's really pretty and DH and I had no intent of draining/filling it.

We bought a metal grid to cover it (strong enough so you could stand on it) that let us see the fish and for plants to grow through.

Resolved the safety issue and had no problem. Removed the grid about 5 years ago.

Only person whose fallen in the pond was DH when he was cutting the grass - thought he was further away than he was and stepped back into the pond. I shouldn't have laughed but it was very very funny 😂

SkyIsTooHigh Sat 13-Jan-18 17:35:14

I think people who are reading and commenting on the property/DIY board will be less likely to be put off than the general population.

We did buy a house with a pond and shingle garden, filled in the pond and replaced the shingle with lawn. But I think we added value and saleability.

HannaSolo Sat 13-Jan-18 17:37:37

Op if you google pond safety covers there are loads of firms that can provide grids like we installed.

If I was you I'd ring and get a quote.

You can then either install one pre-sale or offer to do so as a condition of the sale if it's needed.

Lots cheaper than filling/draining and very safe.

SingingBabooshkaBadly Sat 13-Jan-18 17:55:07

Hannasolo. If only you'd been filming! 😂😂

Off to google safety covers - thanks!

InTheRoseGarden Sat 13-Jan-18 18:10:48

It wouldn't put me off at all. I have little children (and like ponds!)

KitKat1985 Sat 13-Jan-18 18:14:56

Wouldn't put me off particularly as long as the house itself was in good condition and in a good area (and sensibly priced).

HannaSolo Sat 13-Jan-18 18:22:35

Forgot to mention a neighbour of ours filled their large pond when they put the house on the market. Thought it would appeal more to family buyers.

I know this as we "inherited" their fish grin

People who bought it though had 3 children aged 10 and over and one of the first things they did to the garden was put a pond in! No I didn't offer give the fish back - koi carp and very lovely and expensive!

Reality is you don't know who will buy the house, so doing anything pre-emptive is just silly.

When people are viewing simply say (if they have small children) you can get safety covers - we had a quote and it costs x amount. People don't like the cost of the unknown.

That way they can look to install themselves or make it a negotiation point of the sale.

TheQueenOfWands Sat 13-Jan-18 18:25:09

I had a toddler and a pond.

No issue.

The real problem was the cats bringing in big fat toads and then constantly seeing the deckers hopping around the house.

Mermaidinthesea123 Sat 13-Jan-18 18:29:49

I really hate ponds but if I loved the house I'd buy it. There is always a compromise somewhere.

Changednamejustincase Sat 13-Jan-18 18:30:13

It would put me off. I would leave it off the pictures and tell any viewers that it could be filled in easily (if it can be).

TheQueenOfWands Sat 13-Jan-18 18:34:26

Deckers?

Really, autocorrect? It's never been 'deckers'.

SingingBabooshkaBadly Sat 13-Jan-18 20:46:22

Thanks to all who posted. Good point Hanna would be just my luck to spend time and money filling it in and the buyer to be a koi carp enthusiast!

PandaPieForTea Sat 13-Jan-18 20:52:04

It would put me off a bit, but assuming there aren’t 2 identical houses on the market, but one has a pond, then I’d put up with it and fill it in. We did look at a house with a pond and the owners made it clear that the fish were included. That was really offputting as an empty pond or just water are fine, but I wouldn’t want to have to work out what to do with the fish.

FluffyWuffy100 Sat 13-Jan-18 21:15:19

No. It’s not expensive to deal with a pond if you have small children.

SingingBabooshkaBadly Sat 13-Jan-18 21:34:29

Panda that happened to us! We didn't realise the vendors were leaving the fish. Turns out fish are quite complicated to look after properly. Thankfully we found someone who wanted them so now it's pond but no fish.

itsgettinghotinhere80 Sat 13-Jan-18 21:40:37

It wouldn't put me off buying but I'd definitely appreciate it if you offered to fill it in before completion. No way up have s pond with small DC (toddler died locally last year, they're so dangerous with little DC I'd never risk having one)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: