Talk

Advanced search

Confused over freeview/tv aerial

(5 Posts)
Yazi23 Fri 12-Jan-18 17:50:36

Don't judge me for not knowing or understanding anything about this.

The house we are moving to is currently connected to sky. We don't want sky and currently use a mix of freeview and Apple TV which suits us fine and costs very little. We currently have one living area which has an older style tv with a separate freeview recording box plugged into an aerial cable. In the new house we will have this set up in one room, and will be buying a new tv for the other lounge area. It will most likely have inbuilt freeview and be a smart tv (so I'm guessing that means we can directly access Netflix etc on it). My confusion is 1. Do new TVs still need to be directly connected to a tv aerial cable and 2. As they currently have sky I'm guessing they might not have a freeview aerial - am I right in thinking you still need one on the roof so we'd have to get one fitted? Will we have to get freeview aerial cables fitted to all the rooms we want TVs in?

Would another viable option be to use Apple TV and the apps on the smart tv and use Internet alone?

Thanks in advance.

Chasingsquirrels Fri 12-Jan-18 17:55:17

Yes, to receive Freeview they need an aerial (your new tv may have a satellite input and a Freesat decoder as well - in which case you can use the existing satellite dish and wires if they are left).
The house may or may not already have an aerial - ask them.
They need Wi-Fi connection to stream stuff and can do this without the aerial.

BeachysFlipFlops Fri 12-Jan-18 17:57:30

They may be only in a Freesat area, like us. No freeview here as aerial can't pick it up, so we get freesat channels through the satellite dish (we don't have Sky either)

wowfudge Fri 12-Jan-18 19:56:36

If they leave the satellite dish you can get Freesat instead - pretty sure our TV was Freesat ready but we have a Humax Freesat box too which we used with an older telly.

Yazi23 Sat 13-Jan-18 16:39:47

Thanks all. That makes a bit more sense now. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: