Talk

Advanced search

securing furniture safely!

(7 Posts)
rosepoet Thu 11-Jan-18 13:27:40

I have an odorable two year old grandson. How can I make my furniture safe for when he comes visiting? He is energetic and curious and full of beans- he loves climbing!
Children are frequently injured [and even killed] by falling furniture and t.v.s. Any advice welcome- I have already moved anything heavy to the ground so that he can't pull things down on his head.

TangBloodyFastic Thu 11-Jan-18 13:45:34

I cannot offer any advice but please include fire surrounds on your list of furniture to secure

SkyIsTooHigh Thu 11-Jan-18 13:59:24

L shaped little bracket or even just a bit of webbing screwed to top of bookcase or whatever and securely attached to wall. With chests of drawers ensure drawers can't be pulled fully out to either drop on little toes or tip the unit. Just a little batten poking up at the back of the drawer will usually do this if it's not handled by the drawer mechanism.

Our flat screen tv has a screw hole in the base so it can be fixed to the unit, though obv this leaves a hole in the furniture's surface.

Just the fact that you are thinking about the risks and I'm sure will watch him closely will reduce any risks massively.

A few new-to-him toys (charity shop or whatever) that live at your house, and getting down on the floor to play with him if you can, will also be a big distraction. Children climb bookcases when no one's watching. Enjoy their visit.

specialsubject Thu 11-Jan-18 16:34:00

secure the TV. Move all fragile items out of reach. Supervise constantly. If there is log burner, secure fireguard when it is lit.

and if he sleeps or naps in a room with blinds, make sure the blind cords are made safe.

mrsmonkey14 Sat 13-Jan-18 09:13:51

Have a look on amazon for furniture safety straps. We used the baby dan ones. Much more secure than the ones usually provided with furniture. We secured free standing wardrobes, drawers etc. Drawers are the main danger as they can climb on them.
Similarly you can buy specific straps for anchoring tv to wall or unit.

And yes secure any blind cords.

Don’t use socket covers, they are dangerous!

Put cupboard locks on cupboard with bleach/cleaning materials/washing tablets etc if they are at a lower level. We bought ones that go inside the cupboard so doesn’t ruin the look outside.

You sound like a great grandparent. I wish my PIL would care about the safety of their house!! For that reason I don’t allow my kids to be there alone with them which is sad really.

4yearsnosleep Sat 13-Jan-18 12:52:30

We secured our Ikea wardrobe to the wall with their kit and it toppled on top of my daughter last week angry

MessySurfaces Sun 14-Jan-18 21:18:58

Christ 4years that is terrifying!
I'm assuming by your tone that she is ok?
Can I ask what kind of walls you have?
thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: