Talk

Advanced search

Home insurance recommendation

(22 Posts)
Maplessglobe Mon 08-Jan-18 14:45:55

Boring question alert.

We’ve had JL home insurance for many years without claiming. This year we had a burst pipe for which they paid out around £6000. Renewal time has come around and our renewal quote is over £2000.

Looking around, for similar cover I can pay from around £300 (LV) to £900 (intelligent).

I chose JL initially because they had a good reputation for customer service. Now I’ve had to claim I’d say the CS is only OK, mainly because of the third parties they employ but also the central call centre, with contractors not showing up, people not phoning back, long delays etc etc.

I don’t want to pay a ridiculous amount for home insurance but I want to be with a good company if the worst does happen.

Anyone have any recommendations/anti-recommendations?

Thanks very much.

QuitMoaning Mon 08-Jan-18 14:48:06

We are with Hiscox and Have been for years.

They are not the cheapest but have a good reputation for actually paying and their coverage is very wide.

Happy to recommend them although not had to claim yet so not tested that personally.

Maplessglobe Mon 08-Jan-18 15:02:19

Thanks quit, I tried to get a quote from them online but I’m evidently the wrong sort of customer as they didn’t give me one. Maybe because the claim was quite recent, although settled? Having said that, NFU also said they were not competitive in my area before taking any other details...

QuitMoaning Mon 08-Jan-18 16:15:42

Phone them up.

I was “uninsurable”before as my previous house was near a river, made of paper and 73 million years old etc etc so all the online quotes told me to go away despite the risk being a different house in a different town altogether. I called Hiscox and spoke to a human and got a quote as we could discuss it.

Worth a try?

AgnesSkinner Mon 08-Jan-18 16:56:34

We’ve been with Hiscox for years, I would try calling them and speaking to someone as it may just be that they need to take extra details and refer to the underwriters.

Maplessglobe Wed 10-Jan-18 10:50:12

Thanks I’ll try calling. Any other recommendations?

wowfudge Wed 10-Jan-18 11:24:14

Some insurers won't insure you if you have had a claim within X number of years - it's just how they mitigate their risk. I've never been loyal to any one insurer, just got the best deal for us on each renewal.

Maplessglobe Wed 10-Jan-18 11:29:23

Thanks wow, any particular recommendations?

Maplessglobe Wed 10-Jan-18 11:30:51

Weird isn’t it? One claim after 12 years of home ownership...! Probably won’t have another for another 12! I think I’m over the high risk period grin

Badgertastic Wed 10-Jan-18 11:42:48

We use Tesco and have always found them to be good.

wowfudge Wed 10-Jan-18 14:26:05

Sorry, no recommendations because different insurers are better for different kinds of property and there are lots of variables. I would always add accidental damage cover for buildings and contents as there are some things which are classed as accidental and therefore excluded from standard cover. Also add legal cover - do check the terms though - because should you ever have a dispute or problem that can cover you.

scaryteacher Wed 10-Jan-18 14:31:47

M&S are good, and are who I used when we were in the UK. My Mum uses them and has had no problems, even when claiming.

4yearsnosleep Wed 10-Jan-18 14:50:04

We tend to switch between Direct Line & Aviva. Good comprehensive cover & I get cash back through Quidco each time I switch. I'm always amazed when people stay with the same insurer; auto renewals are often more expensive than new quotes and the cash back for switching is around £50-£80.

EggsRoyale Wed 10-Jan-18 15:08:58

M&S here too. Their premium was significantly cheaper than anyone else and we've recently had to claim and they were great. I've not had to renew yet so it remains to be seen how much we'll be bumped up due to claiming!

whiskyowl Wed 10-Jan-18 17:59:31

I think you pretty much have to switch with a renewal quote that high! Blimey!

Easilyflattered Wed 10-Jan-18 18:08:29

Legal and general aren't in my good books after the way they dealt with my mum's house fire claim.

madameweasel Wed 10-Jan-18 18:25:07

We're with Aviva. They were very competitive with a good level of cover, but I have no idea what they are like when dealing with claims. They also give you discounts on other insurance (car, life etc.) when you're a customer.

Maplessglobe Wed 10-Jan-18 19:10:43

Thanks, guys. I’ll look at all those. wow it was mainly to know if anyone was horrid when anyone had to make a claim, as in easily’s experience. Because although I do think the renewal premium is ridiculous, I don’t want to end up with someone useless/obstructive should I have the misfortune to claim again.

reynoldsnumber Wed 10-Jan-18 19:18:42

We had LV and they were very good when we had a massive leak.

My premiums with them went up and others where cheaper - is be with them for £300 a year. Go for them!

Lelivre Wed 10-Jan-18 21:03:02

We were with NFU for many years 15 or so until a claim; an escape of water. They were ok regarding claims handling. Then too expensive post claim. The NFU adjuster was evil, re making good, he questioned and undermined all the quotes and looking back I think he really short changed us but we were worn down by this point.

Then we went with e-sure. We had another claim related to a toddler accident and they were just terrible. Very very unpleasant to deal with. When logging the claim and being interviewed about the incident which took TWO HOURS I was told it sounded unlikely and essentially was accused of fraud. I shouldn’t wonder if they start all claims like this. That was the impression I got! I was so cross and offended I had no choice but to take it as far as I could. We raised a complaint and it all changed we had them pay out for everything on that claim even the materials I used to clean up the paint due to the unpleasantness. We stayed with them due to cost but now we can leave we have.

So now we are with Sainsbury’s. How bad can they be.

LadyLapsang Wed 10-Jan-18 23:54:59

OP, I share your not so positive experience of JL claims service. I think they are trading on the JL name but I was not impressed and it was really tempting to give up when negotiating a settlement - in the end I received over double the initial offer. I meant to change to Hiscox at renewal, partly because DH's professional organisation offers a discount, but didn't get round to doing it last year, so maybe at the next renewal. I think Hiscox will cost more, but the hassle of dealing with all the back office / other organisations at JL coupled with the lack of a dedicated claims manager when you are upset following a burglary is just too much hassle. For me personal service and dealing with someone who is one your side is really important.

Maplessglobe Sat 13-Jan-18 12:17:14

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful. Lady, I didn’t find any issue with John Lewis stepping up to actually cover the damage, it was just that everything was outsourced and extremely slow and some of the third party people they sent out were really quite terrible. Not what I expected.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: