Talk

Advanced search

5.7m x 2m rear extension.... Worth it?

(12 Posts)
gilby1989 Thu 04-Jan-18 21:49:26

Hi all.

I'm looking at a 5.7m x 2m rear extension to act as a play room of sorts for our little girl... I'm just worried about the size? The length seems fine to me at 5.7m I'm just concerned at the 2m width.

Has anyone had an extension/lean to/conservatory fitted roughly this size and would they recommend? And if anyone has do they have any photos of what I can expect size wise? I've looked everywhere online for people who've put pics up of there's similar to this size to no luck...

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

TeamRick Thu 04-Jan-18 22:10:14

Here's a photo of my recently completed extension. We went out 2 metre across the back of the house.

You can see where the old external wall was & it's made a huge difference!

We did specify 2 metres internally though so it's probably 2 and a bit!

whiskyowl Fri 05-Jan-18 11:58:10

I hadn't realised yours was 2 metres rick - it looks WAY bigger than that! The light you have now is incredible.

OP: A lot of the cost of building is in the foundations/digging etc, with the result that sometimes going out 3 metres isn't much more in cost than going out 2 metres. However, I totally understand that it's not always spatially possible to do that in real life. smile

DuckOffAutocorrectYouShiv Fri 05-Jan-18 12:09:10

I think 2m closed off would be pointless and claustrophobic but added to the end of an open room like teamrick’s it can make all the difference.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 05-Jan-18 16:05:40

I agree that 2m added on like the pic would be great. A room 2m wide (possibly even narrower depending on thickness of walls etc) would be ok as a study but would feel very small as a living space.

TeamRick Fri 05-Jan-18 21:03:44

We did go out 3 metres round the side as well whisky for a utility room & man cave!

Even TC couldn't have made that stretch to 7 months! 😬

prettypaws Sat 06-Jan-18 02:29:12

We have a room that's 2.3 and I think it'd very quickly become too narrow. It might suit a young toddler but it'd feel like a narrow hallway.
Mine has standard furniture on the walls but there wouldn't be room to play in the walkway between them. Once toys, a dolls house etc or a chair go in you'd barely be able to walk past so that wouldn't be great for playing.

whiskyowl Sat 06-Jan-18 08:01:25

I dunno rick", I think he'd have given it a good go!! grin.

I know you had more work elsewhere, I'm just amazed that bit of it is so slender. As someone said upthread, it's a huge difference!! I'm so glad your project is coming together now, your kitchen is loooovely!

TeamRick Sat 06-Jan-18 21:41:21

Whisky I do know what you mean! I 'm living in that space and cannot believe that 2 meters has made such s huge difference!

We wondered whether it was worth it but didn't want to lose too much garden! It is so worth it! 😀

gilby1989 Mon 22-Jan-18 16:23:00

Hi all. Thanks for the replies.... It would be added onto an extra room like ricks.
Our living room is cosy shall we say so with a 18month old running around I was wondering if that extra space for her to play in would be worth it. If anyone has any more photos who's had similar work so I can see it in action that'd be great. Many thanks for your photo Team Rick smile

GoingRogue Mon 22-Jan-18 16:30:06

Watching with interest, as we're looking to put a similar sized side extension on. Preferably for a downstairs loo, but I think that's a bit ambitious so prob just as a utility/storage space. We still want to keep access to the back garden though, rather than traipsing through the house, so would need doors on either end. Not sure it's worth it...

gilby1989 Mon 22-Jan-18 16:45:25

Hi.

Yes ours would be a back extension along the living room and kitchen accessible from both. We looked at converting our side entrance into something similar but as it's joined onto the neighbour it gets awkward and quite costly...

Or back extension would be to open up the living room and kitchen areas.... 2m is all we can go out sadly due to a wall in the garden

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now