Talk

Advanced search

Customising IKEA kitchens (Superfront etc)

(11 Posts)
JoansOn3rd Fri 15-Dec-17 20:08:08

Hello, has anyone opted for IKEA kitchen units and customised with Superfront doors, handles, plinths etc?

I'd be grateful for any feedback on the quality of the IKEA fittings and Superfront service (or equally any other recommendations for companies that customise IKEA units).

We will need to fit a new kitchen unexpectedly and like the apparent sturdiness and flexibility of the IKEA units and fittings but were looking to personalise it.

Any advice/suggestions gratefully received.

cloughie100 Fri 15-Dec-17 20:32:47

We're also looking at doing this - There's also a company called Customfront in U.K. Who do doors to fit Ikea- worth a look

dietstartstomorrowok Fri 15-Dec-17 20:36:29

Interested too

JoansOn3rd Fri 15-Dec-17 20:52:09

Thanks, I'll check out Customfront too!

namechangedtoday15 Fri 15-Dec-17 21:37:14

We've done it with wardrobes - we used a company called Homestyle. We went to their showroom but actually most of it was kitchens (rather than wardrobes) but really liked it, quality was great. Ordered about a month ago, doors came a week or so later (custom sizes as we'd hacked the PAX system to make it look fitted) so they've only been in for about 3 weeks but really impressed so far. Customer service was great (they pointed out our measurements were wrong!!)

namechangedtoday15 Fri 15-Dec-17 21:38:57

this is the link

JoJoSM2 Sat 16-Dec-17 11:31:35

We considered that but the prices didn’t make sense. We just went with DIY kitchens - likely to be a bit cheaper overall and they do have tons of styles and colours + can paint the fronts and F&B colour you’d like.

dietstartstomorrowok Sat 16-Dec-17 12:04:46

Really Jojo is that true?

JoJoSM2 Sat 16-Dec-17 12:48:02

Diet, I’d say so. If you’re getting a new kitchen that is. If you’ve got an existing kitchen and just want to change fronts, it makes sense to get replacement doors only.

However, with a new kitchen, whilst Ikea is very good value for money, DIY kitchens do higher quality carcasses and use excellent German drawer mechanisms etc. The prices start from not much more than Ikea but they offer the bespoke paints + can do bespoke sizing (they did a custom cooker hood for us). They also have a much wider range of cabinets. Ikea used to have a wider range but now they only go every 20cm for base cabinet widths. That can really limit your options.
And last but not least, customer service is in a different league.

namechangedtoday15 Sat 16-Dec-17 15:19:47

I've had kitchens from IKEA and DIY Kitchens - I'd agree with Jojo that the quality and choice is better at DIY. My IKEA kitchen was the old style Faktum so things might be different with the METOD range, and whilst it was very good, my DIY kitchen was better. Had it fitted by carpenter who normally worked for a German kitchen manufacturer and said quality was outstanding for the price. I now have one from Units Online (which is another online retailer). It was more expensive than the others (as it's wood) but definitely worth a look.

JoansOn3rd Wed 20-Dec-17 01:36:21

Thanks for all the input and suggestions - lots of options to consider.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: