Talk

Advanced search

Which kitchen would you choose?

(24 Posts)
puglady2016 Fri 15-Dec-17 12:58:42

Which if the two would you choose? Conservatory floor will be made level with kitchen in both options and conservatory is having a solid roof on it so will be like a normal room

So Option 1 is to not extend kitchen but make it semi open plan to conservatory . Dining area would go next to kitchen in conservatory . Kitchen is about 5m by 2.8m galley

Option 2 is to extend kitchen so it’s square 5m by 5m and could have breakfast area in kitchen and possibly dining area still in conservatory

JoJoSM2 Fri 15-Dec-17 13:03:33

I'd would be option 1 for me. I don't receive guests in the kitchen and have a separate dining and sitting room. An a daily basis, I cook simple food and prefer to spend me time elsewhere in the house doing fun stuff or relaxin.

However, it's pretty popular these days to spend a lot of time in the kitchen or host guests in there so a lot of people would prefer option 2.

How do you wan to live your life?

JoJoSM2 Fri 15-Dec-17 13:05:01

*sorry about the typos!

puglady2016 Fri 15-Dec-17 13:08:57

I personally like open plan but I think I can’g Get my head around if just by levelling kitchen floor to conservatory we can achieve that enough.

Also thinking of resale value

notheretoargue Fri 15-Dec-17 13:12:49

I would definitely go for number 2. I don’t like eating in a conservatory all year round as it can get very cold. And for resale value the bigger kitchen will be much more important. I’d be really surprised at a house that had two reception rooms and only a galley kitchen.

puglady2016 Fri 15-Dec-17 13:18:55

The conservatory will be made into a proper living room as all the frames are being removed and being replaced a roof and plastered ceiling going on it so will achieve better thermal efficiency than rest of house. Would that influence your opinion notheretoargue?

JoJoSM2 Fri 15-Dec-17 16:23:26

For resale value, you want a big kitchen with an island and a big table.

Spam88 Fri 15-Dec-17 16:25:39

Option 2, I prefer a bit more space in my kitchen.

puglady2016 Fri 15-Dec-17 16:49:19

I think a lot will depend on the quotes but we have been given ballpark of £1k per sqm we are in a cheap area but prices quite good

blaaake Fri 15-Dec-17 17:03:14

Definitely option 2. Flows better and I prefer open plan anyway. Plus most people nowadays like it open so will result in a higher resale value

namechangedtoday15 Fri 15-Dec-17 19:26:35

Option 2 by a country mile. I agree with previous poster that conservatories are a bit hit & miss - ceiling will make a bit of a difference but still wouldn't be my choice for year round eating / entertaining.

Option 2 (imo) will have better resale value than option 1.

randomthoughts Fri 15-Dec-17 20:58:17

Our galley kitchen is 2.7m x 4.8m. In my ideal world I would have gone for option 2 (no option to extend) but am really pleased with how I've used the space and have a fantastic usable kitchen.

The main compromise we made was an integrated fridge freezer instead of an American one (we have that in the garage). There's loads of usable storage.

I've attached our plan and some pictures of the finished product.

RestingGrinchFace Fri 15-Dec-17 21:05:06

Option 2. Conservatories get horribly hot during the summer-I would want to be able to close it off from the rest of the house.

another20 Fri 15-Dec-17 21:05:47

If the conservatory is be converted to a proper room - could you not make that a big kitchen diner to save the bother of extended - it looks big enough? Where are the best garden views and which direction is SW for better light?

puglady2016 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:05:19

Garden views are good from conservatory and lounge. It’s a large garden and house is quite set apart from neighbours on 1/4 acre plot.

We have looked at rebuilding conservatory but it’s just too much cost and then we have the issue of what do we do with the kitchen?

puglady2016 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:06:28

I would also rather have it so that kitchen and lounge are off the hall rather than walking through other rooms to get to. I guess only thing kitchen could be is a large utility/WC

puglady2016 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:08:49

Randomthoughts, your kitchen is really nice. Do you eat around breakfast bar or have a separate dining room

randomthoughts Fri 15-Dec-17 22:25:32

We have a separate dining room, but the breakfast bar works perfectly for the four of us at lunch etc. I spent ages planning the design and trying to get everything to work as I wanted. I love how I can get to everything I need, but the kitchen is now much more sociable than it was before. There is part of me which wishes I could have the kitchen with an island etc. However I absolutely love what I've done and don't really know what else I would want (if that makes sense!)

puglady2016 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:32:03

I totally get where you are coming from, j think ultimately for us it will come down to cost

puglady2016 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:37:58

Re the conservatory when it’s done, it will be exactly the same as any other room and actually better thermally . It’s a product called Guardian warm roof. Our conservatory is unusual though as it sits on 7ft high brick walls and is so large that it had to have building regs.

puglady2016 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:38:42

We did not build conservatory it was here when we bought the house and frankly sorting it out is a PIta and costing us £35k

randomthoughts Fri 15-Dec-17 22:42:20

Put, I think you need to decide what the priorities are for you. My main ones were work tops (we have about 5.5m usable now, compared to 2m before), storage (we added a larder unit) and nice worktops, which is more affordable in a smaller kitchen!

butterfly990 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:48:17

Isn't it a sunroom rather than a conservatory, so you don't have the issues of being too cold or too hot.

When designing a kitchen try to imagine in your design how basic tasks would work. so for example you have boiled the pasta and now want to drain the boiling water. How far is the sink from the hob? Again taking the burning hot casserole dish out of the oven where can you immediately put it down once you have taken it out of the oven etc,

MiaowTheCat Sat 16-Dec-17 22:08:12

Id go for the conservatory option - the one thing I wish I could really change about the floor footprint of this house is more open plan kitchen space (can't at all easily with our layout).

We use our conservatory year round anyway - it's got quite a new and decent roof so never gets really cold, doors open most of the summer from it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now