Talk

Advanced search

Ofsted rating on primary school effect on house price

(9 Posts)
melonsandbananas Wed 13-Dec-17 12:24:16

We bought a house near an outstanding primary people would kill themselves to get in.

A while later the school had a change of head and now kids are leaving left right and centre. The place has utterly bombed, terrible reputation has started going round. Bullying, uncontrollable kids at sport events etc etc. It's results have plummeted.

Its a grammar area but ridiculously over competitive as the population has grown, only 5% of those who apply get in.

With that in mind my question is has anyone's house price been effected by the drop or potential drop of reputation of their local primary? I'm wondering if we should sell before the next ofsted or is that daft?

Wishfulmakeupping Wed 13-Dec-17 12:30:50

Completely understand your worries op- we brought a house in a particular area specifically for the outstanding school it's had an amazing reputation for years.
There's been a change of head recently and a friend of mine has joined the teaching staff recently too she has warned me in passing not to be too disappointed but she expects the ofsted to not be outstanding at the next inspection.
I'm concerned as the draw to this area is the school without that school being the best around I think prices would be affected as they are at a premium because of the school.
Not sure I have any suggestions but I sympathise- if you don't need to move at the moment I would maybe wait it out- get some advice from a local agent too they should have a good idea how much it's affected the prices.

melonsandbananas Wed 13-Dec-17 13:06:03

Thanks yes I might give some agents a call.

We don't have to move, but I've had to take one of my kids out of the school because of bullying and the others may follow. I don't want to lose money on the house as well but I'm not sure if it really will effect it.

JoJoSM2 Wed 13-Dec-17 13:10:28

Quality of schools does have considerable impact in houses prices and desirability. For many families, a good local school is one of the most important factors or a must-have when choosing a property.

However, are you in the catchment for literally only that one school or other decent schools too? Any great church or preps locally? If so, then house prices might be a little more resilient. And anyway, as you’ve witnessed, things can change within a few years. It could be that they’ll turn around again in the next few years.

namechangedtoday15 Wed 13-Dec-17 18:30:57

Are you in South Manchester by any chance OP?

MammothMountain Thu 14-Dec-17 14:46:58

We relocated over 200 miles for a new job and to an area with an outstanding primary school and sort of downsized a bit from the house we came from.

Our intention was always to buy a bigger house,, only 1 bedroom bigger, still close to the school but the school kept the outstanding rating (and still has it over a decade later) which meant we were effectively priced out.

We ended up relocating to a neighbouring area but kept the children in the same outstanding primary school so our 1/4 mile walk became a 15 minute drive.

It did mean we bought a much better and bigger house because the local primary to us was in special measures but it now soaring. However the local secondary school is outstanding so it has worked out well for us.

So yes, school ratings can massively effect house prices but usually only if your house is in catchment for 1 school.

BubblesBuddy Thu 14-Dec-17 15:32:03

People moving into the area from further away will not be aware of local gossip so it won’t affect it much. The Estate Agents will still say the school is outstanding.

The Head May go. Parents may have better behaved children in the future. If progress is good but the children are just not so bright it affects results but not so much in the eyes of Ofsted because they look at evidence of progress and good teaching. Behaviour at a sports match is not a criteria. Behaviour in school is. Rumour without substantial evidence will not harm the school much because Ofsted hardly ever visit outstanding schools. They can, and do, rest on their laurels. Years and years between insoections usually so they have time to improve if they need to. When was the last one?

Does the school have an improvement plan which recognises the issues? Lots of schools go through difficult times but are not write offs. They improve.

You tried to game the system by buying in the catchment. Not every gamble pays off, does it?

JoJoSM2 Thu 14-Dec-17 16:55:49

Bubbles, I don't think that anyone who's willing to pay for school catchment would go by what the EA says... I think they'll probably look at Ofsted reports, performance tables and school facilities, pupil premium etc. I did my own viewings when we were selling our last house and the people were VERY clued in. They'd researched all the schools, catchment areas and were ask g detailed questions.

Thetruthfairy Thu 14-Dec-17 18:10:35

Yes, I do think it would affect house prices unfortunately op. Maybe not straight away but the desirability of the area is bound to be affected.
Ofsted may be called in sooner if there are any reports of bullying and poor management at the school. And of course, if the results are declining rapidly. These are not quick and easy problems to fix.
The school may turn things around eventually but you can only go on what you know now.
I bought my house because I wanted my dcs to attend an excellent school. I researched the area and school thoroughly. Most of my friends have done/will be doing the same. I would move before you take a financial hit X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now