Talk

Advanced search

Single storey extension for £10k??

(19 Posts)
Glittabug Tue 12-Dec-17 01:00:57

Just after some advice, we just purchased a property that requires renovation. As the property needs rewiring, gas central heating and replastering. I’m thinking it will be more cost effective to extend to create a kitchen diner now rather than later.

I would be loooking at building the shell only approx (2.9m x 3m) brick render and roof. Can this be done for 10k max? I’m based in havering.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated smile

Cavender Tue 12-Dec-17 04:47:55

A builder will usually give you a free quotation but tbh I’d be quite surprised if you could do an extension for £10k.

Get recommendations from people in the area and ask two or theee builders what they think.

whiskyowl Tue 12-Dec-17 07:58:44

I would guess that an extension that size, first fixed to the shell would be more like £20k at the very cheapest.

prettypaws Tue 12-Dec-17 08:04:28

I was looking at a smaller extension and you'd never get it so cheaply unless you were doing a fair bit yourself. I ended up moving load bearing internal walls around to create a better space for 10k.

JoJoSM2 Tue 12-Dec-17 08:20:20

Havering, London or Havering in a cheap part of the North (if there is one there). I would get renovation envy if you got that for 10k. Would probably expect double that.

PickAChew Tue 12-Dec-17 08:22:40

You'd be lucky to fit a half decent conservatory for that.

EmmaJR1 Tue 12-Dec-17 09:56:07

We are having a single storey extension and have been quoted 20-25k in Kent. If you get a quote for £10k let me know and I'll put them up in a b&b it would be cheaper! 😂

Baxdream Tue 12-Dec-17 10:38:26

I agree I cannot see how you can get it done for that amount. No matter what size your extension is, you still need the different trades to come in which costs money

Crumbelina Tue 12-Dec-17 11:49:38

I'd say an absolute minimum of £20k and that would probably involve managing the trades yourself without a builder mark up. Ours is a larger build in London and the demolition and foundations alone cost £15k

johnd2 Tue 12-Dec-17 12:09:44

Do you mean shell or do you mean first fix as suggested by whisky?
If your shell is blockwork with insulation, unpainted render, flat roof with rockwool, no steels or knock through, only 1m trench fill, one door and one basic window, you might be alright. But you'd probably need someone to design something to meet building regs and that would cost.

johnd2 Tue 12-Dec-17 12:10:58

Oh and you could leave the floor space as a concrete or hardcore oversite ready for insulation and joists or screed at a later date.

Glittabug Tue 12-Dec-17 13:54:37

Johnd2 I did want a velux window, existing wall kitchen to be knocked through which will require a steel, one upvc large window and French doors. We are in the process of contacting architect technicians to discuss designs and cost. We have budgeted 2k separately for design cost and building regs.

Dp is a painter and decorator and has decided to to all the replastering and tiling. My uncle who is a plumber and his carpenter friend will be fitting the kitchen (howdens), so we will save in some areas. Hopefully we can afford it if not we will just do a “basic” renovation and save towards the extension.

Mumsy18 Thu 11-Jan-18 19:56:15

Hi my sister lives in Havering (cranham) she had a similar size extension built shell with roof and rendered for £15,000 she used a company called dove grey roofing & building she said they were really good I got there details off her for you
Info@dovegreylyd.co.uk
Www.dovegreyltd.co.uk
Good luck x

Sallycinnamum Thu 11-Jan-18 20:13:12

I live very close to you OP and I'm having a similar extension and it's coming in at £20k.

I doubt drawings and planning regs will be £2k. Building regs are approx £250 and we haven't been quoted more than £500 for drawings.

The main problem you're going to have is finding a decent builder who isn't booked up for the next 18 months. Because there are so few houses being bought and sold in our area, people are extending left, right and centre. We had to book our builder last summer and he doesn't start until late summer!

Glittabug Fri 12-Jan-18 09:27:30

Thanks mumsy18 I will look them up.

Sallycinamum can you share who you got quotes from for your drawings, as the minimum that we have been quoted is between £700-£800. I agree finding a decent builder is hard work.

Chickencellar Sat 13-Jan-18 10:03:45

This is something we are thinking of doing. Maybe a little smaller than yours would be though. I think we could maybe just about get a shell done for 10k would be tight though. We are in the north though.

Try a draughtsman for drawings , usually cheaper than an architect.

shartsi Sun 14-Jan-18 13:31:09

OP. I live in havering too. I paid architects £600 for a 5m extension last week. They are called SSC architecture based in Gants hill.

Tnj7 Wed 17-Jan-18 01:53:12

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Glittabug Wed 17-Jan-18 12:15:13

Shartsi I contacted SSC architecture their fee is £900 inc vat, apparently that’s their standard fee.

If anyone has any recommendations for architects, builders etc please let me know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now