Talk

Advanced search

New Kitchen, DIY Norton cabinets, how are they?

(19 Posts)
Blumoon1904 Mon 11-Dec-17 22:37:17

Hi all. I am currently planning a new kitchen (and extension). I too, like some, fell in love with Devol and Shaker co beautiful shaker dark blue cabinets and are currently desperately trying to replicate them with a limited budget!! I am looking at DIY Norton, in either haigue blue or black blue (F&B do so many lovely colours, it is so difficult to chose). Now, being in W/ SW London, visiting their showroom is not an option. Has anyone around this area (or around London, I am prepared to travel around a bit, as currently too desperate and need to move on form this point) had a DIY kitchen (or kitchen direct, how do the 2 compare? I haven't got around that yet, only have DIY quote) installed and would be happy for me to take a quick look? I would bring chocolate around! 😁 thank you!! PS Also, some pictures and views would help ;-)

minimalist99 Sun 17-Dec-17 11:27:51

Bump I would be interested in anyone who would be able to help too as I am having the same problem

monkeyfacegrace Sun 17-Dec-17 11:31:47

I have DIY Norton but in lamp room grey. I love it.

My best friends own a bespoke furniture making company, think very high end. They fitted it for me and made a few adjustments to make it more bespoke for me, and they said it's the best quality 'off the shelf' kitchen they've ever fitted.

monkeyfacegrace Sun 17-Dec-17 11:34:10

Obviously handles hadn't been done in that pic.

If you aren't using a bespoke service, you catagorically won't beat quality of DIY. It's as good as it gets.

JoJoSM2 Sun 17-Dec-17 12:50:04

Blumoon, I think we’ve spoken about this before and I can attach a couple of pics here. Our kitchen is Hague Blue and Wimborne White. It’s pretty shiny with the mirrored plinths, crystal knobs and a chandelier but you can definitely make it look less WAG-gy and actually pretty traditional with other finishing touches.

clairedunphy Sun 17-Dec-17 12:57:05

monkey, what is your worktop? I think we'll be going with DIY too, yours looks lovely.

minimalist99 Sun 17-Dec-17 14:02:13

Jojosm do you have any more pictures your kitchen looks lovely. All of your kitchens look amazing

Crumbelina Sun 17-Dec-17 14:13:12

I've visited both showrooms (Devol in London and DIY on my way back from the Yorkshire Dales). I'd definitely say that the best match is Norton. I'm having the same dilemma and can't decide between A) DIY Kitchens or B) Ikea for the units and Shaker Doors (Foxtow) for the bespoke doors. There are lots of great reviews for the former but I can't find many reviews for the latter. Bit of a shame as I suspect the latter will give me a better match for DeVol.

Crumbelina Sun 17-Dec-17 14:17:06

Here's a couple of close ups of the Norton doors. Hope this works!

minimalist99 Sun 17-Dec-17 14:40:51

Crumbelina there was another mn user who used Ikea metod cabinets and customised shaker doors and they were really happy but I didn't see a picture of it but apparently the finishing was quite good.

Crumbelina Sun 17-Dec-17 15:05:55

Is that Gerbita? smile I'm on that other thread too and it's inspired me to go for the same. Ordering some samples today (can update when I receive them) and I think we'll take the plunge.

We have two DD (aged 2 and 6 months) so it probably doesn't matter if the door aren't perfect. They'll probably be destroyed within a couple of years anyway. confused

HomeExtender Sun 17-Dec-17 16:13:55

We have a diy Norton kitchen and have had endless praise from tradesmen, friends and family. Really happy with the quality.

HomeExtender Sun 17-Dec-17 16:14:43

Monkey and JoJo your kitchens look beautiful smile

monkeyfacegrace Sun 17-Dec-17 16:27:13

I've got standard oak worktops from Worktop express.

minimalist99 Sun 17-Dec-17 18:50:05

Yeah crumbelina I have a Ds 2.5 and dd 1.5 so I know what you mean

clairedunphy Mon 18-Dec-17 13:03:29

Thanks monkey

JoJoSM2 Mon 18-Dec-17 13:12:35

Minimalist and HomeExtender, thank you for your compliments.

No other pics of my kitchen and we’ve since replaced the accidental glazed door to the left of the cooker smile Atm, there’s building work going on next door to the kitchen so it’s a mess so I’m not taking any new pics.

Ramona75 Mon 18-Dec-17 14:25:23

They look like solid wood doors. Can't really go wrong with them and if unpainted, should last until the end of time.

ISeeTrouble Mon 18-Dec-17 16:50:26

We are in the middle of installing ours at the moment but have gone for Linwood with a black blue island. Thought I'd post a pic so you can see the colour (excuse the half finished handles and general mess!)! I have to say i love it. It looks dark in photos but it is definitely a dark blue in rl and when its in sunlight it has almost greeny tones. I'm very happy with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now