Talk

Advanced search

So who's having a new kitchen installed at the moment?

(49 Posts)
RubbishMantra Sun 10-Dec-17 17:28:22

Mine started last Monday, and I'm practically bouncing off the walls with excitement! Seems to be going fairly well. Suppliers took several wrong measurements but my fitter has managed to work around that. Apart from the space where the unit for the sink to go in that was measured too small, so cabinet had to be exchanged for a smaller one and a smaller sink. Suppliers have been a bit pants to be fair. Units supplied are lovely though.

Some pix of kitchen so far.

Anyone who's having similar done want to keep me company? grin

khampal Sun 10-Dec-17 18:36:14

I'm having mine installed at the moment too! Been without a kitchen for over a month...

Though looks like the wall units might need to come down again, so they can skim my kitchen. And the plasterer I wanted to use isn't free until after February...

Oh well

Gingernaut Sun 10-Dec-17 18:39:53

My house is being fully refurbished.

Kitchen and bathroom are finally starting to be fitted. Snow has stopped play.

I should be back in my house by the end of January.

I'll be so relieved. santa

RubbishMantra Sun 10-Dec-17 19:02:31

A month khampal? shock I hope I'm not being wildly optimistic hoping mine will finish next week... The whole of my downstairs is inhabitable, so I'm living like a teenager in my bedroom. I've made the bedroom next door into a little makeshift kitchen with kettle an microwave in it.

I had to move out for a month too, Gingernaut when we bought this place. Only room that wasn't renovated was the kitchen. It's heaven when you get to move back in though.

Lordy me, the dust though! Fitter was cutting the slabtech on Friday and the house looks like an explosion in a cocaine factory!

stringchild Sun 10-Dec-17 19:21:35

we are three weeks into ours and have about a week to go; was such a mess that everything incl ceiling and floor had to come up and go back down. Units now in with worktops, island in but not its worktop. Range and fridge finally usable this weekend. its been a very long time of takeaways, sandwiches etc.....bathroom is running about a week behind; equal amount of work involved. Who knew a 50s house could be such a wreck!

rainsbows Sun 10-Dec-17 19:24:44

Yep me! It's nearly finished smile

874a Sun 10-Dec-17 20:25:23

Really lovely kitchens where have you all bought them from?

khampal Sun 10-Dec-17 20:40:55

Bought mine from DIY kitchens, mine is 'Clayton' in 'mussel'. Still a few missing panels/filler to fit (DIY kitchens lost them then found them after the delivery), skimming to do, and appliances to install. Not sure about the handles I chose, might replace them.

TeamRick Sun 10-Dec-17 20:47:54

Me! Nearly finished!

Just some end panels to go on & tiling etc to do!
Mine was from DIY kitchens too!

RubbishMantra Sun 10-Dec-17 20:53:19

Mine's from the Chelsea range at Benchmarx. It will look better with the doors on!

I'm having the same radiator as you rainbows! Not quite as wide, as it;s to fit in a skinny space.

I expect I'll be turning somersaults of joy when the Slide 'N' Hide goes in. I plan to do a Noel Fielding style commentary on myself whilst cooking. And it's pyrotechnic, so no cleaning of it, yay!

SnickersWasAHorse Sun 10-Dec-17 22:47:38

<grins>.

I helped!!

PigletJohn Sun 10-Dec-17 23:37:37

I can't remember a day when I didn't have a kitchen in process of being refitted.

RubbishMantra Mon 11-Dec-17 11:03:11

Hello Snickers! <waves>

We are having actual kitchen sink dramas this morning!

Piglet, I am picturing you in a mansion of many kitchens. Do you have a Winter Kitchen like all the smart folk? grin

QuitMoaning Mon 11-Dec-17 12:21:05

Mine is basically finished apart from splash backs and floors. The splash backs are going in right now as I type this and so far am very pleased. Haven’t got photo with splashback yet but here is the main kitchen.

Baxdream Mon 11-Dec-17 13:26:58

We're currently having a kitchen fitted alongside a large extension. My house is chaos 😂
This is the current mayhem but we've had templating done and the oven is going in today 😍

Baxdream Mon 11-Dec-17 13:27:43

Ps no cupboard doors yet for their own safety! They'd get dusty

Joinourclub Mon 11-Dec-17 18:42:35

Oo snickers yours looks very similar to the one I have going in very soon. It looks great, I'm excited now. And I love the grey you've chosen for the walls.

4yearsnosleep Mon 11-Dec-17 20:00:29

Some lovely looking kitchens going in here 🙌🏼

MILdesperandum Mon 11-Dec-17 20:24:35

Our is starting next week; plasterers have been busy today; we extended and are still clinging on to the remnants of our old kitchen so we are still able to cook!

RubbishMantra Tue 12-Dec-17 08:42:47

Phew, kitchen sink drama seems to be over, new one en route.

Floor being screed today in readiness for flooring on Thursday. Has anyone else used The Colour Floor Company?

un1c0rn Tue 12-Dec-17 08:48:51

Last few cupboard doors and plinths to go on. I'm so glad it'll be done tomorrow. I couldn't cope with building work right up to Xmas.

Tanyaaah Tue 12-Dec-17 10:31:03

I've got vinyl from the Colour Floor Company in my bathroom.

RubbishMantra Tue 12-Dec-17 18:54:23

Are you pleased with it Tanyaaah? (Please say yes!!) I'm having the vinyl too, in Nordic Dove.

dottybear Wed 13-Dec-17 14:45:09

oooh hello, can I join you? My kitchen job started on 4th Dec. It is still not done. It is an Ikea kitchen, fitted by their fitters. The cabinets and work top are lovely. The installation has been an ABSOLUTE nightmare. soooo mnay things have gone wrong. Loads of random trades people turning up as and when they felt like it. No one really project managing (well I am now, but that wasn't the plan!) I have had to take endless extra days of work to sort stuff. Gas hob still not connected despite being promised gas person was coming last Friday, the Monday, then yesterday. I actually cant even bare to ring them again today because I know they will tell me he is coming today and then he wont.
Tiler started yesterday (a day later than promised) did half the tiling (not very well) and has rung in sick this morning and doesnt know when he will be well enough to finish the job.
I have been in tears several times over it all and actually really, really just want to run away now.
Should add I also have 6 dc and work full time, and to be honest this has just tipped me over the edge. sad

LaughingLlama Wed 13-Dec-17 14:59:12

Watching with interest. I am only at the planning stage but have kitchen fitter booked for the end of Feb.
I actually dreading the eirk. We are moving a doorway and having a totally new layout so it's going to be quite a job.
New kitchen window and patio doors going in tomorrow though!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: