Talk

Advanced search

(Military) Relocating to Portsmouth next summer

(6 Posts)
Chappers83 Thu 07-Dec-17 12:42:54

Hello there,

Has anyone got any advice for me please?

Next summer we will be moving to Portsmouth, from Cambridgeshire. My husband is in the Navy, so we will be placed in military accommodation. We have two daughters, 8 and 3.

As it is so far away still, we have no idea where we will be placed. Consequently, I can't start looking for schools yet. But will need to start looking asap.

*Has anyone got any idea of the areas that they offer their accommodation?
*Any recommendations on good areas (as we think we will be give a choice of 3 areas-looking for somewhere not built up/quiet ish)
*Any recommendations on primary schools (they are both currently in small village school/nursery)

Thanks in advance
Claire

scaryteacher Thu 07-Dec-17 18:12:58

You could put this into Forces Sweethearts as well.

I think MQs for Portsmouth can be at Lee on Solent, at least that's where there's a largish married patch for all ranks and rates. Not sure you'll be given a choice other than take it or leave it, my db certainly wasn't. I don't think there is anywhere quiet / not built up around there. It's where I grew up and it seems to be a continuous conurbation from Portsmouth to Southampton now.

If your dh is going to Collingwood, there are MQs there as well, but the Lee on Solent patch (next to the Portsmouth Naval Gliding Centre at Daedalus) seems to serve Collingwood, Portsmouth etc.

SorrelForbes Thu 07-Dec-17 18:19:47

Where is your DH going to be based?

There are nice MQs in Stubbington, Southwick, Gosport, Lee on Solent, Farlington etc. Stubbington is meant to be very good for primary schools.

Chappers83 Thu 07-Dec-17 18:35:35

Thank you both very much.

So he is already on the base in Portsmouth centre and will be there for the next couple of years we hope...might have a deployment next year too.
I’m going to working near Southsea.

I’ve seen another post stating that Lee on Solent was good and Stubbington aswell.

But great idea about posting in the forces section. I’m new to MN. 😊

Dancingtothemusicoftime Thu 07-Dec-17 19:02:45

Hi OP, we’re on a patch in Southsea and there are a fair few quarters this side of the harbour. If your DH is working in the Portsmouth establishments and you will be working in Southsea, it’s far better to be this side of the water rather than Gosport/Lee-on-Solent side because the drive round is a nightmare or you have to get the ferry across.

Carillon-Amey who manage the housing allocations may offer you Marchwood which is near Southampton. Avoid, avoid! Nothing wrong with the houses themselves but again the travelling into Portsmouth is seriously unfunny.

As a previous poster said, you get three choices and if you decline them all then in theory you go to the bottom of the pile. We declined our three options for our last three assignments but still got allocated a house that was in the right place for travel and the children’s schools in good time so don’t get too stressed about it if you aren’t happy with the locations of the places you are offered.

Under the Armed Forces Covenant you can apply for schools before you arrive in a location provided your DH has an assignment order for his next role. You don’t have to have an accommodation address and the schools in Portsmouth are very used to your situation as there are significant numbers of Service children being educated there.

However sometimes schools don’t know this and if this happens the Naval Families Federation can give you lots of help and advice (google their website). However, the Covenant doesn’t guarantee that you will get your first choice of school, but it does ensure that you are not disadvantaged in your application in comparison to non-Forces families.

If you can do get down to Portsmouth and look at the various families patches as it’s so difficult to make a choice when you have just a photograph of the quarter you are being offered to look at. We also find Google Earth fantastic as you can see the surrounding area, proximity to parks, shopping centres etc.

Best of luck!

Dancingtothemusicoftime Thu 07-Dec-17 19:11:22

Sorry, I should have added that the education offer in Portsmouth and Gosport (if you end up there) is very mixed - some really great schools and some that you will probably wish to avoid. Few will replicate the small village school atmosphere of your DC’s current option - Portsmouth and its surrounding urban sprawl is a big and growing city with all the benefits and disadvantages that come with that.

Quite a few of our friends have gone down the private school route if they could manage it financially after having less than happy experiences in the state sector, while others have been delighted with their DC’s schools. Obviously the popular schools are always oversubscribed, as they are everywhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now