Talk

Advanced search

Why was my bath suddenly blocked?

(10 Posts)
IToldYouIWasFreaky Thu 07-Dec-17 11:59:18

Last night, I was brushing my teeth, washing my face etc and glanced down at the bath to see it had some water in it and also some brown bits. The plug was out and the water was not draining. The last person to use the bath was DS earlier in the evening when he had his bath.
I used the plunger and cleared the blockage, causing more bits to come up into the water - just black/brown bits...not sure how to describe them really! There was also a bit of a drainy smell. I put some caustic soda solution down the clear any remaining blockage and the water was draining freely after that. I had a shower this morning and it was still fine.

It's worried me that it was such a sudden blockage though. The bath drain does get blocked over time...water gradually becomes more slow to drain and when I realise I am standing in an inch of water after my shower, I know it's time for some caustic soda! That usually does the trick and then it builds up again. All normal, I thought, probably hair and soap scum etc. But it's not been draining slowly recently. It's been absolutely normal and then this sudden block. DS is 10 by the way, past the age for bath toys/pooping in the bath/stuffing anything inappropriate down the drain!

Does anyone know if it means there's a problem elsewhere in the system?

InfiniteSheldon Thu 07-Dec-17 12:15:09

I'd say you're drain are blocked somewhere. Lift your manhole cover and see if water drains through

insancerre Thu 07-Dec-17 12:18:49

All drains can get blocked, especially with fat

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2017/sep/12/total-monster-concrete-fatberg-blocks-london-sewage-system

9GreenBottles Thu 07-Dec-17 17:46:36

I have had something similar happen with my shower last week, so I'm interested in the responses you get. If it were a blocked drain, would you not expect the sink in the same bathroom to be blocked too?

HouseworkIsAPain Thu 07-Dec-17 18:25:56

Do you use one of these when you’re washing hair? It’s amazing how much it catches. We had a problem with slow flowing water - after some caustic soda and using the dossill, bath has not got blocked again.

HouseworkIsAPain Thu 07-Dec-17 18:26:04

www.lakeland.co.uk/23632/Large-Dossill-Sinkie

JaneEyre70 Thu 07-Dec-17 18:27:32

It's hair, soap, conditioner.....you name it. I run one of those unblockers through our pipes every so often and it works wonders. If you had a blocked drain, it would stink outside and your toilets/all sinks would be backed up with water.

IToldYouIWasFreaky Thu 07-Dec-17 22:16:56

It's weird that it happened so suddenly though. It was draining freely and then completely blocked! That's what concerned me.
I do use one of those hair traps. My hair is thick and curly and comes out by the handful when I wash it, so it's a necessity!

It's been fine today, as are the rest of the sinks in the house. I guess all I can do is keep an eye on it...no point calling out a plumber if it was just a local blockage that I cleared with the plunger.

9GreenBottles Fri 08-Dec-17 10:58:08

That was exactly what I thought. It was snowing the day before it happened to my shower and DP suggested it might be frozen. Hair trap and dossilly type thing used religiously here too.

johnd2 Fri 08-Dec-17 13:19:57

Probably blocked further down and flowed back when the sink was used. The floating bit were probably stuck somewhere.
Properly installed waste systems (if they exist in anyone's house) shouldn't get blocked, but maybe those systems don't exist?
Ours was terrible until we sorted out the pipes that went uphill, now it's great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now