Talk

Advanced search

Rough cost for this?

(5 Posts)
orangeapplepearplum Wed 06-Dec-17 19:40:56

I have a 3 bed 1960s bungalow in the countryside but I am looking at making it a two full story (not dorma) house. I have a structural engineer booked to see if this is possible but I am struggling to find out a rough cost for just the build of it (not fully decorated). Does anyone have any experience/knowledge about this?

Thanks in advance!!!

Whathappens Wed 06-Dec-17 20:20:44

Depends on whether you have to remove the roof or if the height is ok as it currently is.

orangeapplepearplum Wed 06-Dec-17 20:21:48

*WhatHappens
Remove the roof blush

another20 Wed 06-Dec-17 20:47:16

We have a flat roofed 70ft x 30ft single story house - we were quoted £200k to add a pitched dormer roof containing 4 beds/3 baths inside fully done - £170 kfor the same but as a shell no plumbing electrics bathrooms fitted etc. I would imagine that to add another full storey (ie the brickwork) and a roof would be more considerably more. You could look at 1.5 storey. Often more cost effective to raze to the ground and start again - get 20% VAT back and better build thermally as you will end up rewiring and replumbing the whole house anyway - and only thing you have left are the walls when you take the roof off (and these might be in the wrong place).

didireallysaythat Wed 06-Dec-17 22:40:32

You'll also want to check the foundations can take a full second storey - usually just involves digging a few deep holes at the corners of your house (we watched our neighbours turn their bungalow into.a house).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now