Talk

Advanced search

Decorating cost

(10 Posts)
Mirrorxx Wed 06-Dec-17 14:12:18

I have just received a quote for painting our living room and it is much more than I expected. can anyone tell me if this is the going rate now?
We are in Manchester and they have quoted 650-700 to prep the room which is approx 7m x4m and paint the skirting boards. We have to supply the paint on top of this

whiskyowl Wed 06-Dec-17 14:20:59

Hmm, is the £700 for painting as well as prep? That's quite a large room, and if the walls are in a bit of a state they may need quite a bit of preparation - I'd say that's decent as a quote provided the finished work is to a good standard.

Summerisdone Wed 06-Dec-17 14:21:08

I got quoted £950 for stairs and landing, not including the price of paint (I don’t have a hall as I’m in an upstairs maisonette).
It does appear to be very expensive to have someone come and do the decorating for you now a days, I’m even considering trying to get into it as a trade when I get my driving license grin

I ended up having to do all my decorating myself as there was just no way I could ever afford the costs.

The stairs remains half painted though as I cannot reach my stupidly high walls/ceilings without risking my life lol.

MikeUniformMike Wed 06-Dec-17 14:22:59

Can't you paint it yourself?

Cammymyle Wed 06-Dec-17 14:26:17

It also depends if you have high ceilings and cornicing which will be more work.

BubblesBuddy Wed 06-Dec-17 15:41:03

Sounds reasonable to me.

nomorespaghetti Wed 06-Dec-17 15:45:40

I'm in Manchester too. Actually if you want to pm me i have a fantastic decorator recommendation, he is currently doing my hall, stairs and landing! It does sound a bit on the expensive side to me, but probably not too outlandish. I would recommend getting a few different quotes and seeing where they land. Check out local.which.co.uk/advice/cost-price-information-painters-decorators (although a bit outdated now). Out of interest, what were you expecting?

wowfudge Wed 06-Dec-17 15:52:59

That's quite a big room and the quote sounds reasonable to me.

JoJoSM2 Wed 06-Dec-17 17:49:33

That’s reasonable- sounds like 2.5-3 man days. Prepping such a large space + painting everything including the woodwork with 2-3 layers of paint is going to take that long.

RebelRebel79 Thu 07-Dec-17 08:13:29

It sounds a little on the high side to me, but not ridiculous. Depends if there is a lot of prep to be done. I also have a fantastic decorator I used in my old house when renting it out and I will be using in our new house when we renovate. Pm me if you would like his details I’m in the Manchester area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now