Advanced search

Re-advertising property or inviting other offers after accepting offer ! Is this right?

(15 Posts)
rattlesnake Wed 06-Dec-17 08:27:00

I have SSTC and house is in process of going through. however buyers are being really unreasonable...asking for building work to be completed before moving date (mid Jan) they tell us we should get the work done as it will inconvenience them. We've agree that some damp / plastering, loft treatment and electrical work be done as per their surveyor. I have agreed to pay for it all but they want us to pay AND carry out all work before their moving in. They are aware I have a disabled person at home plus children..(and Christmas is on top of us) ! My estate agent has told me that they are being unreasonable, tell them that I will put my house back on the market to invite other offers whilst they are deciding what to do! Is this possible? I thought by accepting their offer I had given them exclusivity?

Knittedbreasts Wed 06-Dec-17 09:07:10

I would say no to the work in your circumstances. Tell him because of your caring duties that will not be possible now or in the future. If you want to offer a price reduction you could do. I would give him a day and time to decide and then put it back on the market.

HeyMacWey Wed 06-Dec-17 09:11:39

They're being cf's.

Just say no to the work being done whilst you're living there. You've already said you'll pay for it so they should be happy with that.

You can put the house back on the market if they haven't said their offer is based on taking the house off the market.

another20 Wed 06-Dec-17 09:48:51

I think that it is interesting that your EA has advised you to do this. The EA knows they are CF's, that the request is totally unreasonable and that you need to call their bluff. Give them 24hrs to decide - even if they do pull out - I be they will be back within the week.

If you are dealing with people like this you need to really watch your back - expect them to try to gazump on exchange day - be ready for that and dont back down.

Needmoresleep Wed 06-Dec-17 10:09:39

Their offer has in effect changed. The current one is unacceptable to you. If they do not agree to the offer you are willing to accept, ie you pay something and the work is done later, the house is back on the market.

And let the estate agent know that if they mess you around any more, you will simply walk away.

They sound like the sort of people who will always try for more if they think they can get it, so you need to draw a line in the sand. If the sale falls through, don't worry as even if it is inconvenient they probably would have thrown in a few more demands before the end.

I also don't agree that you have to make good survey defects. The price is for a property. Yes use a survey as a negotiating tactic if there are surprises, but there is no obligation on the part of a vendor to make good things that might be expected in a property of a certain age and condition, as this will have been factored into the origional price.

Your Estate Agent sounds on the ball. He will have seen lots of buyers and presumably doubts these ones will last.

Lucisky Wed 06-Dec-17 10:46:25

I have seen your other thread about this.
I would certainly withdraw the offer to pay for it all! Cheeky buggers.
Tell them they can buy the house as is, or put it back on the market. You are under no obligation to them. Your estate agent is giving you good advice.
Enjoy Christmas in peace, without this hanging over you. A new buyer will be along soon.

minipie Wed 06-Dec-17 10:58:42

Yes you're not bound to anything till contracts have exchanged. You can put property back on the market at any time. The risk is that your buyers might walk away and find something else. (But they can do that at any time anyway, up to exchange).

SleepFreeZone Wed 06-Dec-17 11:03:40

I agree to be aware of them lowering their offer the day before you exchange. I wish you were in a position to tell them to FO altogether but I'm guessing you're not.

MikeUniformMike Wed 06-Dec-17 11:05:30


BubblesBuddy Wed 06-Dec-17 15:52:10

Surely some of this depends on whether buyers are easy to come by or like a needle in a haystack. If it’s the latter, you may need to negotiate. Lots of properties are not priced to take serious defects into account so can you not negotiate a lower price based on estimates for the work? If you can afford to lose the buyer, then readvertise.

You could consider doing the work and getting a better price and no agro from a buyer.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 06-Dec-17 16:27:23

Tell them no.

They are being incredibly unreasonable at your expense.

WhatwouldOliviaPopedo Wed 06-Dec-17 16:43:20

By all means reduce the price if you must (but, really, that sounds like an awful lot of work you're agreeing to - are you sure you should be paying for all of it???) but no way should you agree to the work being done before you complete. It's standard for buyers to do the work themselves and your EA is right about you calling your buyers' bluff and re-listing. You need to wrestle back control of your sale.

butterfly56 Wed 06-Dec-17 16:49:42

Your EA is absolutely right to put it back on the market.

You can refuse to sell your house to these people absolutely no problem. It is totally up to you who you sell your house!

I had a similar experience once where I had a couple who wanted me jumping through hoops.

They ended up pulling out of the sale after months of delays. 2days later I sold it to a lovely young couple who didn't give me one ounce of trouble.

My gut feeling is that these people are not going to be good to deal with right up to completion...that's if you get that far with them!

Dozer Wed 06-Dec-17 16:51:11

Yeah, get it back on the market. Cheeky gits.

hlr1987 Thu 07-Dec-17 23:27:34

Selling is a negotiation right up until exchange of contracts, nothing is binding. It sounds like you have given them the impression you're desperate to sell at any price/ hassle to yourselves and they're taking full advantage of you. Listen to your agent- either you'll find better buyers or let the current ones know you won't put up with being taken for a ride!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: