Talk

Advanced search

cavity wall insulation causes damp? anyone heard this?

(5 Posts)
stillvicarinatutu Tue 05-Dec-17 17:06:06

hi
bit desperate for info as we are meant to be getting our cavity walls insulated next week. apparently now a days the cavity is filled with polystyrene balls (unlike when i had last house done which was with that expandable foamy stuff....)

anyhoo - we were telling his parents when she said look into it as she has heard of it causing damp in properties previously unaffected by damp.
im now unsure about getting it done but we are one of the few houses on the street not insulated and im sure it would make a difference to the energy bills but i obviously dont want it if it does indeed cause damp.

any advice or experience would be most appreciated.
thanks in advance,

ElsieMay123 Tue 05-Dec-17 17:13:14

She's not wrong;

www.which.co.uk/reviews/insulation/article/cavity-wall-insulation/cavity-wall-insulation-damp-problems

It can cause problems if not done right. Maybe get some more information from the installer if you're not sure?

stillvicarinatutu Tue 05-Dec-17 18:59:32

thanks for that info elsiemay

Daisymay2 Tue 05-Dec-17 19:07:46

Have a look at these as well.
www.askjeff.co.uk/cavity-wall-fill/
www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/home-insulation/cavity-wall

PigletJohn Tue 05-Dec-17 22:45:55

some people blame the CWI. CWI does not create water, but some houses have bad pointing, cracked render, rainwater leaks, mortar rubble in the cavity, or are facing frequent driving rain. In which case these problems should be addressed first, because if the outer brickwork is wet, filling the cavity will reduce its ability to dry out.

CWI installers can, if necessary, be forced to remove it at their own expense if they install it and problems arise from these defects, so they usually inspect for them and refuse to install it.

BTW my house has absorbent bricks, and one side faces coastal storms, but has not suffered damp after CWI was installed. The pointing and gutters are in good condition. I have a relative who had cracked and loose render, and water filled the space between render and bricks, causing persistent damp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now