Talk

Advanced search

Any idea? Damp?

(34 Posts)
Ollivander84 Tue 05-Dec-17 16:06:10

Any ideas on what this looks like? Ground floor, one wall only and only up to knee height if that

Flicketyflack Tue 05-Dec-17 16:10:17

Looks like damp to mesad

Ollivander84 Tue 05-Dec-17 16:11:34

Bugger. It's so strange as it's floor up only, and one wall (ground floor flat)
Property is only 10 years old

retirednow Tue 05-Dec-17 16:12:40

looks like black mould, it can be got rid of with mould remover sprary which we used and it never came back. is the area ventilated? is there any damp getting in from the outside?

scurryfunge Tue 05-Dec-17 16:12:41

What's on the outside. Check for leaky/blocked guttering.

Fairylea Tue 05-Dec-17 16:14:03

Condensation mould. Pull furniture away from the walls, spray with mould spray (dettol green one or cillit bang black mould spray) and ventilate well.

Ollivander84 Tue 05-Dec-17 16:14:47

The other side is a house so the wall is shared? As in there's no external wall
Mega well ventilated, air vents always open and this room has the window open every day for probably 4hrs
I've lived here a decade and this is the first time - no mould in any other room
Worst near skirting boards but then stops quite abruptly about 1/4 way up the wall

Ollivander84 Tue 05-Dec-17 16:15:33

No furniture on the wall either confused it's just a small wooden chest which sits at a right angle to the wall, that's it!

BunloafAndCrumpets Tue 05-Dec-17 16:18:29

Get some mould cleaner from a DIY shop. Probably just because air hasn't circulated well there. We've had similar behind a sofa

Flicketyflack Tue 05-Dec-17 16:21:55

Are there any water pipes behind wall? Our ceiling looked like this after a small leak in shower tray. Good luck x

Ollivander84 Tue 05-Dec-17 16:23:48

Not sure on that one. The property next door is empty now as moved out a few days ago so I can't knock to check. Every other wall is fine and there's nothing blocking air flow, it's literally a wall with a floating shelf and nothing else!
Wonder if it's the same the other side of the wall....

PigletJohn Tue 05-Dec-17 17:03:50

the black speckles look like condensation, but it would be unusual on a party wall, so I'd think about a leak.

How does the height and position compare to a radiator on the other side? Or could it be a sink, basin, shower?

Did you have furniture up against the wall, that has only recently been removed?

Do you hang wet washing indoors?

lettuceWrap Tue 05-Dec-17 17:10:08

What’s the reason you have the window open in this room for hours each day? I suspect the cause of the mould is likely linked to your answer to that question!

retirednow Tue 05-Dec-17 18:33:03

I leave a window slightly open to air the house, let the air circulate and let the cookiing smells out. It can soon feel too hot and stuffy with the central heating on. You do need some fresh air.

outabout Tue 05-Dec-17 18:45:54

How long has it been like this?
It could be 'shoddy' builders letting mortar drop into the cavity and bridging the damp proof course, or similarly letting it transfer from next door.
Start with the mould remover as suggested earlier and see what happens.
Ask landlord/estate agent to allow you to view next door to see what is on the other side.
Consider any water pipes that might be present on that wall in the room above or next door which COULD leak or even if the cavity goes up to the roof could a roof leak find it's way there. You should be able to answer most of these questions yourself for free with a healthy inquiring/suspicious mind!

Ollivander84 Tue 05-Dec-17 18:56:19

Piglet - I honestly don't know as I can't visualise the layout but I know it's not a shower or sink. Possibly a radiator there

No to furniture. Yes to washing but on a heated airer, not in that room
Windows have air vents that are constantly open

Ollivander84 Tue 05-Dec-17 18:59:08

Lettuce - I have a cat who uses it as exit/entry! But I like fresh air and it's the only window away from a pavement

Retired - every window has an air vent that's on constant trickle flow and I leave both bedroom windows cracked open at night

Out - I noticed a few spots maybe a month ago? And yes, yes yes to builders - my biggest suspicion
No landlord or estate agent for next door as it's being left empty

wowfudge Tue 05-Dec-17 19:40:30

Find out who the owner of next door is by downloading the title register from the gov.uk Land Registry website. That should have their address on it - and hopefully it’s different from next door. Write to them and tell them you suspect a leak and ask them to ring you.

Ollivander84 Tue 05-Dec-17 19:47:59

I can find out a contact hopefully via a neighbour. She's moved into another area into rented accommodation, I suspect land registry won't be updated

I've rung the management company and they've got a contractor coming out within the week. They did say if it was my fault they will bill me £80 hmm but the property is aired and warm and I use extractor fans in the bathrooms etc etc. Washing has to be dried inside as I'm not permitted to use my garden, but I got a heated airer and use it in a room with the window cracked open. No other rooms or walls affected

The people who built the place used a ceiling rose instead of a junction box so TBH if it's bad builders, my level of surprise would be zero grin

Lucisky Wed 06-Dec-17 08:35:21

Completely missing the point of the thread, but the sentence 'washing has to be dried inside as I'm not permitted to use my garden' has me feeling very annoyed for you. Why aren't you allowed to dry washing outside? I know it's not that easy to do (i.e.dry) at this time of year, but in summer, well, surely that's what everyone does. Totally unreasonable.
Drying washing inside in the winter needs a fair amount of constant heat. Wouldn't it be better to get a tumble drier? I don't think the cost of running it would be much more than having to heat your home and have windows open for your wet washing.
Do you find the heated airer works for you? I have found them inefficient in the past.

Ollivander84 Wed 06-Dec-17 08:40:03

I do love the airer - I drape a sheet over it which helps a lot
No room for a tumble dryer, TBH I don't generally have heating on and windows open for drying, just the airer on and windows open as it dries overnight
It's in the leasehold thing - I'm the only apartment with a garden but no washing to be visible. Daft really when the house next door can!

Ollivander84 Tue 19-Dec-17 12:56:42

Update. Contractor came out today. He said the wall is cold because next door have moved out so they've indirectly caused it. And I either need to run a dehumidifier in that room, or have a heater turned on to the wall until someone moves back in next door
I did point out it was a slight design fault, and next door was occupied since I lived here and I wouldn't expect a new build to develop it
But I can't warm that wall up without a heater as no radiator on it and it's backing on to a cold house. He said doesn't feel damp in house and it's the best in terms of moisture management that he's been to

retirednow Tue 19-Dec-17 14:44:50

We used the aero 360 small dehumidifies which worked really well and collected quite a lot of moisture and also bought a mini 500w oil filled plug in radiator.

PigletJohn Tue 19-Dec-17 14:57:05

if you are obliged to hang wet washing indoors, do it in the bathroom with the extractor fan running and the door and window shut

BordersMumNow123 Wed 20-Dec-17 09:29:22

People have said spray with Dettol mould remover, but I thought that was not supposed to be used on painted/wallpapered surfaces??

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: