Talk

Advanced search

Cladding a steel post in aluminium where two sets of bifolds meet

(5 Posts)
Tatlerer Tue 05-Dec-17 13:20:39

Hello
We have a steel corner post holding our extension up where two sets of bifold doors meet. The door supplier haven't trimmed it up so you can see the post still. They want a King's ransom to trim it in aluminium (or so it seems to me- about £850) so just wondering if anyone knows an alternative supplier for random bits of cladding like this? And another question- if we didn't get it clad, is there anything stopping us from painting it in the matching RAL colour?
Thanks!

Humptynumpty02 Tue 05-Dec-17 15:04:41

Interesting post and something we are going to be facing soon. I assume there is an expectation that cladding will be quoted for explicitly? Sorry can't help with your issue but happy for the advice.

PigletJohn Tue 05-Dec-17 15:31:35

I think it will be more than a bit of trim, because it will have to securely lock with the doors. I expect the door manufacturer will have special parts.

If not, there are lots of local companies that do repairs to windows and patio doors, ask around for a recommendation.

PigletJohn Tue 05-Dec-17 15:32:45

btw structural steelwork has to be protected from fire, this should have been covered in the Building Regulations approval.

Tatlerer Tue 05-Dec-17 19:10:07

Thanks @pigletjohn. I'm reliably informed that the bifold door frame is screwed to the steel post and the door is locked into the frame, so it is just a cladding issue. I remember someone on another thread who wanted to make a feature of her steel posts internally so painted them in fire retardant paint which satisfied building regs. Would still like it covered though ideally.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: