Talk

Advanced search

Renting a room our Mon-Fri. What do I need to have/do?

(5 Posts)
pharp Mon 04-Dec-17 17:15:40

As per the title really.

I'm being made redundant so need to earn a little more money. I'd like to rent my spare room out Monday to Friday. I live near Heathrow so I'm hoping it'll appeal to airport workers or those working in one of the many local companies

It's a double bedroom and I'm proposing they'd have sole use of the bathroom while staying (I have an en suite). There's a double bed and large wardrobe with shelving as well as hanging in it. There's a small side table, and a book case.

I was going to give them space in the fridge and a kitchen cupboard

Do I need to provide a tv? Or any other furniture? What about bedding/pillows and bed sheets? Towels? Do they bring their own stuff?

Is there anything else I should consider? (I've looked up the legal stuff and will have a lodgers agreement etc.)

Thank you

JoJoSM2 Mon 04-Dec-17 17:23:54

I don’t think they need a TV in the bedroom if there’s a TV in he living room although it might be attractive to some. They should have their own bedding.
You’d also need to make it clear what you expect in terms of cleaning etc as that could be a sticking point. Otherwise, not much as it’s different from renting out the whole property.

JoJoSM2 Mon 04-Dec-17 17:24:21

Oh, and visitors and parties.

pharp Mon 04-Dec-17 21:22:31

Thanks JoJo

starfishmummy Mon 04-Dec-17 22:16:31

Done this as the lodger.
Provided own bedding, cleaned own room (which I guess would also include a bathroom I had sole use of) but not the communal areas as they had a cleaner. I would do my washing up and leave the kitchen tidy, ditto bathroom. Was given a kitchen cupboard and their other lodger and I shared a fridge and freezer. (The owners had two!)

Had run of the main living areas.

Generally I left on friday mornings and returned late on Sunday. I paid the same as the other lodger even though they were there all the time and I wasn't - but it meant that I could easily stay extra time if I needed to work a weekend.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: