Talk

Advanced search

Removing radiator, easy?

(8 Posts)
ceminem Mon 04-Dec-17 14:50:58

I'm got a new build and would like to remove a radiator in the kitchen in order wall mount a TV. Is this an easy job to remove and seal pipes, replaster wall where required? The room is warm enough as it has another radiator along another wall.

The radiator is roughly 1 metre wide and has a knob to set the warmth setting. How much would this job roughly cost?

Rollercoaster1920 Mon 04-Dec-17 15:11:47

Either you have a very high radiator or want to put a TV very low!

Can't you mount the TV above the radiator?

Failing that it is a relatively straightforward job. Do you leave the pipes there incase you want to reverse the removal, or do you want to blank off behind the wall (a risk it may leak or get drilled through in the future).

A plumber would do the removal and blanking off. A handyman could fill and plaster, and paint over.

ceminem Mon 04-Dec-17 15:46:30

Nah its a big TV and placing it above would be too high. Having a quarter of it situated where the radiator is perfect height when watching from the sofa.

I won't be reversing it so blanking off would be the preferred solution.

CactusCactusCactus Mon 04-Dec-17 15:57:59

Also TVs shouldn't go above radiators because of heat.

You'll need the pipes calling, not a big job. It'll depend on the wall behind, as it's a new build you should be able to get away with some filler and smoothing plaster from B&Q etc.

Does depend what your floor is as if they can't easily take it up I guess it'll get capped above the floor...

CactusCactusCactus Mon 04-Dec-17 15:58:27

Capping not calling!

CactusCactusCactus Mon 04-Dec-17 15:59:30

Cost - half an hours work for a Plumber? Depends where you are. Probably £40 in south east, although sometimes they charge min an hour.

Call a few and explain.

minipie Mon 04-Dec-17 16:01:34

I'm not an expert but believe it is usually necessary to drain the whole central heating system in order to remove a radiator, and then refill the system again (and bleed the radiators/top up pressure several times) after. Depending on the size of your house this can take several hours so would cost a fair bit of plumber's time. In theory you could do the draining/refilling yourself but only if you have a decent idea what you're doing.

Mosaic123 Mon 04-Dec-17 23:55:46

We have a radiator with a TV above it in the kitchen. We put a granite shelf above the radiator so the TV doesn't get too hot. Could you swap your radiator for a lower one and put a shelf in between? It's somewhere to keep the remote control and the granite matches the rest of the kitchen. Glass would probably be fine too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now