Talk

Advanced search

What drill to buy?

(6 Posts)
Hurraahhnaptime Mon 04-Dec-17 12:21:55

I'm looking to buy a drill but have just moved into my first home and have no idea what to get. We will need it for general DIY such as putting up shelves, drilling into walls, putting up curtain rails etc and for wood. I was thinking an 18v cordless but have no idea.

lalalonglegs Mon 04-Dec-17 12:32:27

Definitely cordless and make sure you get one that you can hand-tighten rather than having to use a chuck key (which will get lost). I favour Makita but there is plenty of choice out there.

whiskyowl Mon 04-Dec-17 12:43:41

Get a cordless one with a decent amount of power, in case your walls are really hard (like mine) and take some going through - check it has a decent hammer drill setting. Make sure it's one of the one with a Lithium ion battery not a NICAD. They last way longer and hold the charge better.

PigletJohn Mon 04-Dec-17 13:56:53

An 18v cordless Combination drill.

Depending on your pocket you can get a budget one (this has two batteries, very handy)
www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-18V-Li-Ion-Cordless-Combi-Drill-with-2-Batteries/p/141178

or an expensive one.
www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-eri691com-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/5304p
or a very expensive one
www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dhp459sme-18v-4-0ah-li-ion-lxt-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/5677v

IMO the cheap one will do.

If you decide later to do more heavy work, a mains powered drill can be more powerful and better value. Large ones are heavy.

Whatever you buy, look for a long guarantee.

Don't get a NiCd battery because it will die long before the drill is worn out.

PigletJohn Mon 04-Dec-17 15:58:58

having looked again, the "cheap" one I use is
www.screwfix.com/p/titan-tti699com-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/4908p#_=p
I've got one and been very happy with it.

it has much better reviews than the Wickes one I linked in my previous post.

Hurraahhnaptime Wed 06-Dec-17 13:10:43

Thanks @PigletJohn. I have ordered the Titan drill. It has great reviews and at that price it looked ideal.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: